Mac Boycott

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacClarence, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacClarence macrumors newbie

Having lurked for several years I have decided to make my first post on mac rumors because of an issue which is very close to my heart! I was in London yesterday (visiting the Regent Street Store) when I came across the scandalous, police state Olympic Torch procession.

I think it's time we questioned Steve about putting the pursuit of profit above freedom and human rights. Apple makes a massive markup on every product it sells, and would still make large profits if production were carried out in a country where you were not killed it you opposed the outmoded views of some befuddled very old men.

I have written to Steve and made it clear that until either basic human rights and freedoms are allowed in China, or until Apple moves production to a nation that treats it's people freely and fairly I will be boycotting all Apple products and encouraging everyone else to do so. If you support me in this campaign why not drop Steve an e-mail, I believe that s.jobs@apple.com is read by him or at least his minions! Only with the weight of public opinion can we make a real difference to the repressed, almost sweat shop labour of this world.

Many thanks,
    MacClarence :apple:

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Apple make a huge markup, as do most other companies. I wouldn't say Apple's margins are that much larger than other companies.

This isn't going to happen...

3. MacClarence thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe this isn't going to happen, but hey, from tiny acorns giant oak trees grow;)

I also think it is fairly widely accepted that apples margins are way up on the upper end of what most companies achieve.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Why not boycott all products assembled in China, or would that be too much of an inconvenience in your daily life?

5. ctt1wbw macrumors 68000

ctt1wbw

The rise of the global climate is directly proportional to the profit margins, too, right?

6. MacClarence thread starter macrumors newbie

So what's you answer?
    Do nothing and wipe the blood of your keyboard!

Hey man! Is the climate rising? Where to;)
    I think thats a different issue. if my boycott was based on climate changing emissions I would have to start looking at the worlds biggest producer - no more Reeces pieces.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You would save a lot of money by doing that, nearly everything comes from China these days.

I work for a UK manufacturing company and we have lost over half of our biggest customers to the Chinese. We just cannot compete and I will be very surprised if we are still trading this time next year :mad:

8. MacClarence thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately this makes my point! Near slave labour and no rights in China means no one wants to invest in the free-world of which our western politicians are so proud.

9. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

MacClarence -- I think it's wonderful if you could actually boycott all products from China. I'm concerned, of course, about China's human rights record, and, as a parent of young children, I'm concerned about the lack of regulation and oversight of products that are exported from China.

However, it's simply impossible for me to avoid buying products made in China, and I'm certainly not going to single out a company like Apple, that otherwise has a pretty good record as a corporate citizen.

Plus, putting pressure on the Chinese Government by boycotting Chinese-made products is only one way to bring about positive change. Isn't also possible to support China's move towards a free market economy by buying Chinese made products and allowing the slow development to continue? This might also have the affect of raising the standard or living for all Chinese and ensuring that China is an ally, not enemy, of the west.

10. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

What Mac products can you buy that are NOT assembled in China:confused:

Recently I have been buying Samsung stuff but it looks like they are starting to assemble there too.

11. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

We make pressed metal components, which due to the dangerous machinery used in the production process are highly regulated by the health and safety authorities.

The Chinese are not overly concerned about the safety of their employees :eek:

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Why just Apple? Nearly all computer components, as well as almost everything else that's manufactured, comes from there. It's a noble thought, but sadly, will do nothing to stop what's happening over there. Hopefully, the people themselves will someday rise up themselves. Maybe then our stuff won't be so cheap. Yes, Apple marks their stuff up, but it's actually not that much compared to other higher end manufacturers and if you consider how much they spend on R&D and adverts.

13. nick9191 macrumors 68040

So your going to buy a PC instead, which was also made in China, and gets a equally high markup.

14. MacClarence thread starter macrumors newbie

Watched the video - Quite frankly unbelievable.
    I think it's time I started checking the origin of ALL the products I buy.
    I singled out apple because it breaks my heart that a company I love so much can treat fellow humans like this but i hope they are not putting workers in the sort of danger shown in the vid.

15. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

I agree with all who have asked why just Apple, looking around me today, other than clothes, the only thing I have with me that was not made in China is my watch.

Oh, and it really bugs me when people make these "power to the people" stances and then hide behind a nickname. If you are that pissed off with Apple at least do it under your real name.

16. Queso macrumors G4

Unfortunately the choice we have as Western consumers is for a rich and dictatorial China or a poor and dictatorial China. The Chinese Communist Party would stop the economic development immediately if the only option allowing it to continue were their own removal from power.

Change in China will come as more Chinese are exposed to the outside world. It may take a generation, but one day the CCP will fall.

17. stomer macrumors 6502a

The Chinese people have the option to revolt if they are so unhappy with their government. How the Chinese run their own country has nothing to do with me, you or Steve Jobs.

I don't make purchasing choices based on whether I agree/disagree with the way in which the producing country does it's business. Am I supposed to stop watching The Daily Show because of Guatanamo, water boarding etc... etc....?

18. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well, there's Taiwan...

Oh, wait.

Being serious now, it's extremely hard not to buy things from China, pretty much anything that has plastic in it is made there, and even though I understand your good intentions, there's no way you'll get enough people to support this boycott for it to work.

I personally think we're all gonna be screwed when the world market comes crashing down in about 20 years or so, but maybe I'm wrong, and if so, hopefully people will see the light, and perhaps a boycott like this could work.

Unfortunately, today, no one really stops to think where their products are made, all they care about is getting the best deal, even if it was made under poor working conditions. It's a sad thing really, what we need to do is get the public to open their eyes and get them to start caring about this, then we might have a chance.

19. elcid macrumors 6502

20. MacClarence thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Stomer,

Perhaps you've been rip van winkling it!!

I think the last time they took that "option" there was a little trouble in a place called Tiananmen Square!

21. nick9191 macrumors 68040

It would be good if the parts were not assembled in China, however Dell etc. would never do this, just Apple, meaning that their computers would go back to being ridiculously overpriced (think back to 2001, and the second gen ibook, I laughed when I saw the specs).

Obviously the welfare of the chinese people is more important.

22. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

That was an interesting article. Of course, a lot of clothing/shoes/incidentals are now manufactured in places like Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, and Vietnam. It might actually be easier now to have a year without China than it was in 2005.

23. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

It seems your heart is in the right place. Well, sort of. Yes, wanting the Chinese people to gain freedoms, safe working conditions, and fair wages is a great thing. I'm all for it. But tying this issue to Apple (specifically) seems a little off, and hints at an agenda. Zeroing in on what you claim is a beloved company, (one that you admit you aren't sure whether or not they are guilty of the atrocities you viewed in a film), is ineffective.

Sending a letter and calling for a boycott against a single company is a shaky start, but a start all the same. If this issue really does upset you, and you want to create positive change, then you're going to have to put a lot more effort into making it happen. Begin in your own "backyard", instead of pointing fingers at others. The problem exists, in part, due to the worldwide capitalistic ventures that naturally seek the lowest costs in manufacturing in order to maximize profit margins. This isn't unique to Reese's' nation of origin, and it's impact is related to population/market, not merely the US, (which so many love to hate on for any reason they can conjure).

Make your move. I commend the efforts that actually have the potential to cause change, not half-@ssed, whim based moments that fizzle out as soon as something else catches your fancy. Do some research. Educate yourself on the details and causes of the issue. Brainstorm for some effective solutions, and then share them with others, so that we can stand beside you, rather than question your motivation/dedication to the cause. :)

24. stomer macrumors 6502a

Are you saying that it's impossible for the Chinese people to have a successful revolution and bring down their own government? I don't think it is. And even if it were impossible, I still don't see why that's anyone's concern but theirs.

25. MacClarence thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps not impossible but a very long way off.
    Most peoples who have rid themselves of repression have done so with outside assistance.
    e.g. The South African Boycott, The Vietnamese invasion of Cambodia, Nato in Bosnia, The Allies in WWII, hell if you go back far enough the pivotal French assistance in the American war of independence and the Dutch in the Glorious Revolution.

Repressed people need help and I for one think a bit of consumer pressure is not a bad thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.