Mac Browser Showdown - 5/1/08

Discussion in 'macOS' started by geek-inthe-pink, May 1, 2008.

1. geek-inthe-pink macrumors member

geek-inthe-pink

Okay, I just know some forum administrator is going to kill me for this, but... MAC BROWSER SHOWDOWN!!! Yeah!! (ZOMG this is gonna get so many posts). I think this should be re-started every couple of new browser releases so that the features/opinions/arguments are up to date.

Firstly, I don't just want to see three word posts like "[insert browser] kicks ***", OK? Let's tone down the language, try to be precise and please only discuss browser versions released to the general public at this time (so no alphas, no betas unless relevant, e.g. Safari 3.1 beta). If you believe the beta is relevant, give a reason. So for the Safari 3.1 beta example, a well worded statement might be, 'included with Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) update 10.5.2'. Also, please let's keep to this list of browsers (I think I actually got them all - or at least the major ones):

Firefox (please no beta 3 posts, except for clevin:) (just watch he'll attack this thread))
    Camino
    Opera
    Sunrise Browser
    Shiira
    Safari (WebKit in itself is NOT a web browser)
    IE 5 / Mac
    SeaMonkey
    Demeter
    Flock
    iCab
    OmniWeb
    BumperCar
    Netscape
    AOL Web Browser (beta; relevancy: for AOL internet subscribers)
    MSN / Mac
    Dillo
    Daydreamer
    Amaya
    Kaleidoscope (version .9, but stable; released only on invite)

Alright, so include what is your MAIN WEB BROWSER (and why), what is your BACKUP WEB BROWSER (and why), which browser in your opinion is the FASTEST (and why)! There's no reason in posting if you don't say why!

Kill yourselves:
    READY...
    SET...
    POST!
    :D

I shall go first...

Okay. I use Safari, my backup browser is Firefox, and I think Safari is by far the fastest and most standards compliant browser out there. If you don't think so, I'm open to be convinced otherwise! (I'm especially fond of other WebKit based browsers).

Your turn!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I didn't think Safari 3.1.1 (as seen in Leopard currently) was a beta app. :confused:

3. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

safari is a very fast browser for Mac OSX, but i use firefox because i use many extensions that i need to use and i love to sync my bookmarks to my PC with firefox, and the extension foxmarks

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Epiphany has a Mac version? since when?
    Isn't "fast" supposed to be a objective measurement? why you need to answer "why"?:D
    As for most standard compliant browser, that has to be opera. Detailed standard comparison can be found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers

hey, Im attacking your thread...:) just to point out the problems.

5. geek-inthe-pink thread starter macrumors member

geek-inthe-pink

Yes, I have to agree extensions are useful, but I don't ever use them I'm so busy...:p Firefox is indeed a good browser.

Thanks, clevin! I've just removed Epiphany! (sorry guys, my mistake). But clevin, you forgot to say what your fav browser is!

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Safari 3.1 is my choice from the list above. Webkit is my default browser but I understand that Safari 3.1 is Webkit from 5 weeks ago.

7. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Safari because of my .mac account and syncing it with my iMAc and MBP.

8. geek-inthe-pink thread starter macrumors member

geek-inthe-pink

Yes, it is. WebKit is mine as well, but WebKit is not a browser. it's like a rendering engine, hence....

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Sigh, Ok, My fav is

FFFFFFFFirefox. 3
    Reason: 3.0 is fast, great out of box functions, single window mode, multiple username/password for same website, allow download easily goes to appointed folders, great download manager, easy search engine management, great drag and drop of webpage elements, superb fullpage zoom, much enhanced security, much better memory management, much better password manager, awesome bar, etc.......of course, extensions, adblock+, fireguestures, del.iceo.us, full map, etc etc.

Just check my Signature for all the goodies :D

I also have
    Firefox 2
    Netscape 9
    Safari 3.1
    Opera 9.5
    Camino 1.6
    Camino 2.0a
    Chesire
    icab4
    omniweb 5.5
    shiira
    songbird
    thunderbird
    prism

10. geek-inthe-pink thread starter macrumors member

geek-inthe-pink

Wow! What's Chesire? And Prism? I'll go research, and add those to the list if they are indeed browsers.

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ah, sorry, there was a typo
    Cheshire, is AOL beta browser I download long time ago, its a webkit based browser.

Prism, is a site-specific browser, based on Gecko, probably not a full featured browser.

12. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm a Firefox user myself, because of the extensions. I find it hard not to like Shiira and SunriseBrowser though. They offer some unique features Safari doesn't.

14. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

safari 3.1.1 it has a nice clean interface and its fast, works great for me. I've never experienced any of the problems that some users have faced with safari except..... i play fox sports fantasy baseball and for some odd reason safari does not display my roster page so i was forced to download firefox but thats the only thing i use it for, as i find it really slow and dont really like the interface plus its the only application where i constantly see the beach ball on my computer.

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I agree with you about the default Firefox interface - it's not all that nice looking. However, Firefox has theme support, so you can change that. I suggest looking into one of the Mac OS X like Firefox themes.

As for the beach ball, I've never had that issue with Firefox (or Safari, for that matter). I'm not sure what might be causing it in your specific case.

16. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I think you could try out firefox 3, even as your backup. The release candidate will be out very soon.

[​IMG]

17. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I would like to use Firefox 3 very much, but beta 4 was far too unstable for my liking (it crashed 7 times in 2 days). Also, Firefox 3 beta 4 and Greasemonkey don't get along, for some reason. I think I'll just wait until the final release is ready.

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Gotcha:)

RC1 should be out very soon, final is probably still targeting June.

However, from ver 2 to ver 3 is a big jump, with many extensions have gone through deep re-written. Mostly, update should work, in case it doesn't. A new profile might be necessary.

19. nick9191 macrumors 68040

I like Firefox but hate Firefox users. The majority of them seem to have an inability to stop whining about how great Firefox is. Same with mac users really.

I use Safari.

20. Bigtree macrumors 6502

Does the new Safari still have a huge memory leak?

BTW Foxfire for me.

21. duncyboy macrumors 6502a

Longtime Opera user here, but I have to say I'm disappointed with the OS X version- it seems to be the Windows version's poor relation :(

There are several simple features from the Windows version that are missing from the OS X Opera.

Minimise tabs, the Content filter doesn't always work and I simply hate the way that if you close the last active tab, instead of going to Speed Dial it hides the whole program.

Here's hoping that the next update addresses some of these issues.

22. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Same here. The current Webkit FLIES!

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Safari gets a far higher Acid3 score, the latest Opera snapshot is three points ahead of the latest Safari release, but still the final version is far behind.

24. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

Its probably not accurate to equal acid3 score to the degree of standard compliance.

Safari did quite a few partial implementation of many standards just for the acid test. Its very difficult to take those as an indication of really meaningful standard compliance, since developers can't be sure how to use it anyway.

Also Acid 3 includes some since been modified, or abolished standard as well.

I didn't see either opera nor firefox taking this type of "quick road" just to increase scores.

There are some comparisons on wikipedia, you might check them out if you like :)

Safari is a highly standard compliant browser, thats for sure.