Mac Burning DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JavaWizKid, Feb 27, 2010.

1. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2008
    What is the best brand of DVD to use with a MacBook Pro Early 08 because mine is struggling with any media I test it with. It eventually burns after trying multiple times with many of them failing with a write error. Is it the medium or a problem with my drive? I had this issue before and Apple changed it, the problem still exists. Is it dirty or something?

2. TEG macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    It sounds like it could be dirty or bad. Contact Apple and get them to diagnose it.

3. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

Jul 14, 2004
    If the problem is easily reproducible, I'd second the suggestion to bring it to an Apple Store or service provider.

At the same time, there is a real difference in the reliability of different media brands. Some cheap no-name discs I bought from an office supply store ended up having a 50% success rate. The Verbatim discs I had were a noticeable improvement. The most reliable DVD-R brand I've come across is Taiyo Yuden, which seems to have an unrivaled reputation for quality. I'm currently using them with a 100% success rate so far. You can get them from newegg,, and elsewhere. It might be worth getting a small pack to test... if your drive has problems with them, then there's a good chance something's up with the drive itself.
  4. dfusion- macrumors member

Jan 15, 2010
    the problem doesnt lay with the DVD's but with your macbook...go to a applestore and ask them for help :)