Mac buying help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stolari, Jan 16, 2008.

1. stolari macrumors newbie

Hello all

Sorry for starting yet another 'what should i buy' threads but its my first post about my first mac and i could do with a hand.

I am trying to decide between a macbook or an imac (would love a MBP - but can't afford it/justify it to my fiance!).

The portability of a MB would be great but the extra power of an imac is tempting. I will mainly be using it for light office work, essays/presentations, surfing and possibly making podcasts (though nothing to heavy).

I realise i can't use games on a MB but thats not a huge issue, but would a MB with 2GB be able to dual boot with windows xp in bootcamp and run fast rather than choke ?

Thanks for any help, and again sorry about the newbie questions!

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

A MacBook w/ 2GB RAM would have no problems with XP.

3. myeggsareboiled macrumors newbie

Macbook!

The macbook will handle all that and plenty more. Bootcamp runs windows at native speed so there should be no issues there either. I personally would go for the macBook. Laptops are so much handier.

4. stolari thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that guys,

I am going to buy a MB tomorrow, I decided to get the base model and 4gb ram (3rd party - bloody hell are apple pricey!).I was just wondering if there are any MAC only downloads, apps, widgets etc that are cool that i may have missed in the last few (PC only) years that you would say are a great download to get me started back in mac land ?

5. nosey313 macrumors member

Try here.

6. stolari thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers nosey,

Sorry about that I should have done a search but I'm really excited about getting it (very sad i know):) I feel like a kid at christmas - theres got to be something wrong with a grown man feeling like this over a computer!!

7. nosey313 macrumors member

Nothing wrong with that at all.:) Even with the minimal amount of dissatisfied customers and minimal defective products, the experience Apple provides is light years ahead of any other consumer electronics company. I'll never buy a PC again!

8. stolari thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

Just to let you know i'm writing this on my new macbook - its fantastic. Cheers for the help guys i'm very happy with my choice (though i almost went for an imac AS WELL - she'd have killed me:D). Thanks again.