Mac came w/ Leopard, can I ask for Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by FSMBP, Jan 22, 2009.

1. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Hi, I have a Macbook Pro (Mid-2007) that I bought last November. It came preinstalled with Leopard.

I know my Macbook Pro is capable of running Tiger (one of my classmates has the exact same Macbook Pro but with Tiger installed). Also, it says on Apple's on support site:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1159

Can I ask Apple to sell me the Tiger restore discs for the Mid-2007 Macbook Pro?

P.S. - The reason I ask is that I have several Apps that I've had for a while that do not work fully on Leopard.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There are no restore discs for that machine with Tiger on them ...

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Are you sure? Because I have a Macbook Pro 2.2 Ghz (To be specific, Macbook Pro3,1).

Apple's site, as I put in my original post, says that Macbook Pro was introduced in June 2007 (before Leopard).

Thanks for replying so quickly!

And for the other person's response: No, unfortunately no Intel Mac's with Tiger :(

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Hmmm ... It wouldn't hurt to call Apple and ask ...

Are you sure it is a Mid-2007 and not the Late-2007?

6. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yeah, it's the Macbook Pro Mid 2007.

It's definitely the Mid-2007 because I don't think Apple updated their Macbook Pro line until February 2008.

I know the Macbooks got updated in Late 2007 though. But I might be wrong.

I'm going to make a Genius Bar appointment for tomorrow. Hopefully, they won't think I'm crazy.

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

According to your link, the Late-2007 came out in Nov. 2007.

8. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

If you do get it, I would be surprised. However, if you are really interested try ebay.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

They will.
    There's nothing wrong with Leopard and the Tiger drivers for your machine, most likely, don't exist.

10. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

I have nothing really against Leopard, but I trying to look for solution for my apps.

And if my Macbook Pro initially came out in June of 2007, and didn't cease production until the Early 2008 Macbook Pro's, why wouldn't the drivers work exactly? I'm just confused.

Also, I attached the pic of my computer. I might have made it sound confusing earlier.

Attached Files:

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yes that MacBook Pro did ship with Tiger. You might be able to convince them to sell you your "original" restore Tiger discs.

12. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

It appears that I cannot read tonight. You're right, the MBP wasn't updated until Feb. 2008.

13. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Ok, thanks guys - I appreciate it. It was my first post!!

I'll post my results (after asking Apple tomorrow) if anyone is remotely interested.

14. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

If you are interested, you can order a 2 disk replacement set for the original System Restore disks that shipped with your Mac which will include the OS version that originally shipped with it, which in this case is 10.4.9.

Call Apple support and tell them you want to order a set of "fulfillment disks" for your Mac. They will get your serial number to check against their database so that they send you the identical set as original and will charge (as of about three months ago or so when I last did it) about $32 for the disks including shipping. I usually receive them about 3 days after ordering on average.

15. FSMBP thread starter macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Yup as the last post says - that's exactly what worked.

They are sending me the Tiger replacement Discs for $34 :)