Mac/Canon network issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RickyMB, May 25, 2014.

1. RickyMB macrumors newbie

Hello, I am having a problem with printing wirelessly to my network printer.
    1. The printer works fine when connected directly to my Macbook Pro.
    2. When I try to network print wirelessly, I get a 306 comm error and it says, "Printing, awaiting Authentication". Does anyone know what authentication this is, coz I have no idea.

When I added the printer on my Macbook Pro, I was asked to enter the username/password for the 'print server'. Is this 'print server' info the username/password used to access the seagate home network unit to which the printer is connected, the username/password to enter the computer, or the username/password to log onto my internet? I am not sure which one must be put there.

I am using a Seagate 3TB Go_Flex home network unit, with a Netgear router and a MacBook Pro OSX 10.8.5.

HELP ME PLEASE !!!!!

2. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Which Canon printer? I'm using a MG6350 wirelessly with no issues. Have you downloaded the latest driver from Cannons website?

3. RickyMB thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Apple, I am using el cheapo. MP250. I had it working before with OSX Lion, but since I changed my computer - this one has OSX Mountain Lion - I have not been able to set it up correctly. It might be a setup problem. Did you see the user/password stuff I wrote? Maybe you can help me with that.

Ricardo

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

So to confirm you have downloaded the latest drive? I have to be honest, when I set mine up on ML it went without a hitch.

5. RickyMB thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes Apple fanboy. I have connected the printer to the Mac and done a software update. It found an update and installed it. I have also downloaded the latest driver from Canon (turned out to be the same one I had before). Latest development is that I have been able to print a test page, so there is communication there somewhere. This is really strange - if I put two or more test pages in the print queue and keep pausing alternately, one of them will give me "Hold for authentication". This one gives me the option to input my user/pass, and then it prints. The other keep on saying "Printing, awaiting authoriszation", and after the first one prints, it stays that way waiting. Weird. I have tried saving the user/pass in keychain, but it still asks for user/pass each time. What is really strange now is that I can't get this to happen with a normal print job. I'm beginning to think this is a Canon-related problem now. Like you, when I set this up on my previous Mac using Lion OSX, it worked right away like a charm. This time? Dunno. I'm completely floored by this problem. Apple can't seem to solve the problem, saying they have done all they can, and are sure it is not an Mac problem, recommending I contact Canon next. :confused: