Mac can't see wired AirPort Extreme? Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Smileyboy, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Oi! I’m trying to configure my home network. I have a modem next to my mac in the office and my time capsule connected via Ethernet to the modem in my office.
    The time capsule/Airport extreme is in the basement and providing internet to the Apple TV/ ps3 and TiVo....
    With wifi off, my mac can’t see the time capsule/AirPort Extreme. Any ideas? I would like my AirPort Extreme to do double duty… Acting as a extender and time capsule.

Thanks.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Is the Mac plugged into the AirPort or the modem? Do you have the latest copy of AirPort Utility? The newest updates include a fix for non-appearing base stations. Also, what OS are you running?

3. Smileyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Thx for the response. The Mac is plugged into the modem.I do have the latest Airport software. I am running Mavericks. 10.9.4

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is possible that it cannot see it due to the fact that it is on the modem and not plugged in "behind" the AirPort like most people do. Try going to :apple: --> System Preferences --> Network (Select "Ethernet") --> Advanced --> and set "Configure IPv6" to "Link-Local Only".

5. Smileyboy thread starter macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

Thanks, That didn't seem to work. I guess I'll run another ethernet cable down to the basement this evening. My backups aren't working correctly....:confused:

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It is probably due to some sort of setting on the modems LAN. The Netgear Comcast gave at school does the same thing but it doesn't bother us.