Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macOS Catalina includes a new Mac Catalyst feature that's designed to make it simple for developers to bring their apps created for the iPad over to the Mac App Store.

Several developers have taken advantage of the new capabilities in Catalina to create Mac Catalyst apps for the Mac App Store, and we thought we'd round up the most useful of these for those who are wondering how Mac Catalyst apps work and how they compare to their iPad app counterparts.

[*]Twitter for Mac (Free) - With Mac Catalyst, Twitter reintroduced a Twitter app for the Mac, a year after the original Twitter for Mac was eliminated. Twitter for Mac is a hybrid of the iPad app and the web interface, though it more closely resembles the browser version of Twitter. It works as you'd expect a Twitter for Mac app to work, with a navigation bar on the left for swapping between mentions and messages, and then a Twitter timeline.
[*]GoodNotes 5 ($7.99) - Popular note taking app GoodNotes 5 is available on the Mac following the launch of macOS Catalina. You can view and access your notes, but taking notes is a much better experience on the iPad because you can use the Apple Pencil or a stylus. You can write on the Mac version, but it requires a mouse or a trackpad, which is not the best experience. Being able to reference your notes on your Mac is super useful, even if the bulk of the functionality is designed for the iPad.
[*]Allegory ($3.99) - For those who prefer Markdown, Allegory is a Mac Catalyst app that's now available on the Mac. It's simple, straightforward, easy to use, and the available feature set is the same across the iPad and the Mac.
[*]Carrot Weather ($14.99) - Carrot Weather is a popular iOS app that's now on the Mac. It uses Dark Sky and offers up some accurate weather data. What's more, it has a snarky attitude that turns boring weather information into a much more fun interaction. Carrot Weather is one of our favorite Mac Catalyst apps so far, and given the app's simplicity, it's quite similar to the iPad version.
[*]Rosetta Stone (Free) - Rosetta Stone on the iPad is an app designed to help you learn a language, and in Catalina, the Rosetta Stone app is also on the Mac. It's a solid port and the experience is overall the same, with the bonus of being able to swap between devices to learn a language no matter what you're using. The app is free, but it requires a subscription.With Catalyst apps, Mac versions need to be purchased separately from iOS versions, which is a downside that may put some people off of them. For your favorite apps, though, the purchase price may be worth the cross platform availability.

Mac Catalyst apps are still in the early stages of rolling out, and Apple has plans to expand the Catalyst feature in the future. We can expect to see more apps designed for the iPad ported over to the Mac as time progresses, and if you've found a great Mac Catalyst app, feel free to mention it in the comments.

Right now, you can see a collection of other Mac Catalyst apps in the Mac App Store under the "Apps You Love Now On Your Mac" section of the Mac App Store, but it's otherwise tough to tell a Catalyst app from a regular Mac app.

Article Link: Mac Catalyst Apps: Our Favorites So Far

pgharavi

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2004
Twitter doesn’t auto-refresh, correct?

That is, if you want to see new tweets, you have to manually refresh - unless I’m (hopefully) missing something.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
its quite obvious that there is something wrong with the applied concept of using already written iOS code to "easily" bring apps to the mac.
carrot weather priced at USD 14.99.
14.99 ? really? give me a break.
i already paid for carrot weather for my iPhone.
i won't pay such a lot for getting it onto my mac, especially since its being touted as having been able to get ported to the mac "just by clicking the mac box".
i like carrot weather, but i won't pay twice for it.

Last edited:

FasterQuieter

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2008
its quite obvious that there is something wrong with the applied concept of using already written iOS code to "easily" bring apps to the mac.
i won't pay just as much for getting it onto my mac, especially since its being touted as having been able to get ported to the mac "just by clicking the mac box".

It should at the very least be a choice for the developer. I assume it currently isn't.

Reactions: jpn

jsalda

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
i won't pay just as much for getting it onto my mac, especially since its being touted as having been able to get ported to the mac "just by clicking the mac box".
Apple needs to consolidate the web stores (they won't). If it's a Catalyst app with no extra features, then you shouldn't have to pay for it.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Europe
I honestly think Carrot is uniquely overpriced in general.
$5 for iOS app
$15 for macOS app
plus $8/month for all the features
That's $116 in the first year. For a weather app.

For comparison, a year of Photoshop and Lightroom cost about the same.

Basically, I always shocked when I see Carrot mentioned or recommended.
[automerge]1571954466[/automerge]

fmcshan

Editor
Apr 8, 2019
The apps released using Mac Catalyst have been mediocre so far. I'd like to see how Apple's "new recourses" for Project Catalyst affect development of such apps.

Konigi

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2017
Montréal, Québec
I'm really interested in having more apps into my Mac, especially apps that I actually use on iOS. I guess it's just a start currently. I also spotted Shazam, and I don't recall it being on macOS prior to Catalyst. Nice addition.

Examples of apps that I would love to use on my Mac (without going on a web browswer):

• Splitwise
  • Spendee
  • Medisafe
  • Calm
  • iAnnotate
  • apps from newspapers (at least to receive notifications)
  • Slowly
  • Twitch
  • a few iPhone games...
  • the app from my city (Montréal)

These would truly put the user at the centre of technology, as you could do whatever you want whether you're on your computer or mobile device. I feel we're slowing getting there, closer each year, but it's still a work in progress.

Oh and please update the iMessage app to the same level as iOS. I don't understand why we can't use iMessage apps and effects on macOS, it totally disrupts the experience.

unfunfionn

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2015
Berlin, Germany
$5 for iOS app
$15 for macOS app

[automerge]1571954466[/automerge]
It’s an app I never learned to enjoy using. The novelty got quite irritating and made the usability pretty clunky. I just want to know the weather... I had no idea it cost that much these days. Just wow.

Reactions: jpn

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley

You won't, but many will. Not only that, but some developers of both iOS and Mac apps have found that Mac users will pay even higher prices for Mac App Store versions than iOS versions. So not 2X, but 3X or higher totals are common. Lower prices or free versions of apps don't make money (for those developers who need revenue to pay for food and rent). Don't like that? Do without. Or try writing and debugging your own Mac apps for the same purposes or entertainment value.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
My one complaint with Twitter for MacOS is it's REALLY agressive at pushing their stupid 'home' view. EVERY TIME I launch the app it's back to that view. On my iPhone or on the web it only does it every few days (which i hate). I can restart my phone and it will most of the time go back to 'latest tweets', but the mac app never does.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
You won't, but many will. Not only that, but some developers of both iOS and Mac apps have found that Mac users will pay even higher prices for Mac App Store versions than iOS versions. So not 2X, but 3X or higher totals are common. Lower prices or free versions of apps don't make money (for those developers who need revenue to pay for food and rent). Don't like that? Do without. Or try writing and debugging your own Mac apps for the same purposes or entertainment value.

thanks.
i decided to not buy carrot weather for mac.

Reactions: t1meless1nf1n1t

___joshuaturner

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2017
Screen-Shot-2018-06-04-at-1.06.17-PM-780x435.jpg

20180604-wwdc-merge-macos-ios-no-01.jpg

Reactions: Bitácora and jpn

tubedogg

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2003
Minnesota
Carrot Weather is a popular iOS app that's now on the Mac.

Carrot Weather is a popular iOS app that has been on the Mac for a number of years. The new version was done using Catalyst, which is of course how it ended up on this list, but I have seen this all over the place like Carrot for Mac never existed previously, which is very much not the case. For a while you couldn't even get daily forecast notifications on iOS without the Mac app being installed.

$5 for iOS app
$15 for macOS app

Carrot is fairly priced given the frequency and depth of updates and the wealth of weather data available. Every single time the weather data is refreshed, the developer is charged. Every time you change weather sources, the developer is charged. Every time you pull up a different layer on the radar, the developer is charged. If you don't want any of the advanced, cost-intensive features, then you don't have to pay for a subscription. So then it's $5 (or $15). Though that's an unreasonably low price for an app with endless significant updates like Carrot gets.

At some point people are going to have to realize that developers have to get paid, too, if they want apps to continue to exist.

Reactions: E.Lizardo

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
Carrot Weather is a popular iOS app that has been on the Mac for a number of years. The new version was done using Catalyst, which is of course how it ended up on this list, but I have seen this all over the place like Carrot for Mac never existed previously, which is very much not the case. For a while you couldn't even get daily forecast notifications on iOS without the Mac app being installed.

Carrot is fairly priced given the frequency and depth of updates and the wealth of weather data available. Every single time the weather data is refreshed, the developer is charged. Every time you change weather sources, the developer is charged. Every time you pull up a different layer on the radar, the developer is charged. If you don't want any of the advanced, cost-intensive features, then you don't have to pay for a subscription. So then it's $5 (or $15). Though that's an unreasonably low price for an app with endless significant updates like Carrot gets.

At some point people are going to have to realize that developers have to get paid, too, if they want apps to continue to exist.

i was not aware of the high costs for continual access that the app owner is paying for access to the various data sets its app makes use of.
wow. fascinating.

doesnt sound like an app for mac that im ever interested in.

ive already deleted my iOS carrot weather app from my iPhone as well. paid much less for it though for iOS.
it sure was interesting being able to set the "snarky" attitude level in the app.
other than that, the layout, colours, design, and the inability to get practically anything other than temp and rain made it a dreadful app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.