Mac Charger Trips My Electric when connected to TV

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mac Mane, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Mac Mane macrumors newbie

Hi Peeps,

I've hooked my MacBook to my TV, but everytime I connect the charger it trips the electric switch in my house and shuts everything down. Very annoying... This only happens with the Macbook is connected to the TV...

Has anyone had this before and how can `i go about solving this problem?

Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sounds like there's a grounding fault somewhere... now is your TV on a surge protecting power strip?

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Could also be a simple case of overloading the circuit.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Possible, if it's a really, really big plasma TV. But most TVs (and certainly the Macbook) are low amperage devices... IIRC household circuits for wall plugs usually carry 15A. At 120V, that's 1800W, right? With the Macbook around 100, unless there are tons of other things on that circuit, there aren't too many 1700W televisions.

Also I assume the OP means the problem happens not when the TV and Mac are simply both plugged in, but when the Mac is also plugged (video) into the TV.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Have you tried plugging it into different outlets? When you say "everything" do you actually mean "everything" or just a few breakers?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you're tripping circuit breakers that aren't even the ones to which the Mac and TV are connected, then you need to call an electrician.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

I can't imagine how plugging anything into one circuit would take down the whole house. The individual circuit breakers trip on overload, so unless the circuit breaker is faulty, how could the main breaker trip? Plus most houses have two main breakers.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I love how these threads go on into speculation of all kinds of scenarios without any input from the OP. :D It'd help if they'd give more details so those of us trying to help have something useful to work with.