Mac Charging cable ripped

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by storm2, Nov 29, 2013.

1. storm2, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013

storm2 macrumors newbie

My mac charger started falling apart and then it completely died so i cut it and cleaned it up to try and fix it can i have some help on how to do this properly heres some pictures of what im dealing with right now.(The pictures are not loading for me. If they are not loading for you just click on where they should be and it will open in a new tab)

Also thanks a TON for anyone who helps out with this problem, i have been without a computer for a week now and i dont think i can go much longer.

image (1).jpeg

image (2).jpeg

image (3).jpeg

image.jpeg

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

That's not "ripped." That's someone taking a wire clipper and cut it.

3. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

I think you're better off not dealing with the re-wire and buying a new one.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

5. storm2 thread starter macrumors newbie

if you were to read the post and not just jump straight to the pictures you would of noticed that i said that it died so i cut it and cleaned it up to try to fix. But thanks for the attempt in explaining to me what ripped means.

----------

to everyone else thanks for the feedback i just really dont want to have to spend the 80 bucks on a new one and this was my last chance in fixing it but i guess its time for a new one.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I know $80 is a hit to the wallet...but for your safety, and for the safety of your mac, it is really best to get a new charger cable.

7. storm2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice ill be sure to go out sometime and get a new charger i dont feel like being electrocuted or damage my mac all over the 80 dollar charger because im sure if something happened to the mac it would be over 80 bucks to fix it.

8. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

I have to agree with everyone. Buy a new one. Do not take the chance of ruining your computer. You can always get them used for about half the price of new. Just make sure you get proper one for your laptop.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Apple products comes with 1 year warranty. And you can get Apple Care for up to 3 years of protection for the Mac.

So no, it won't cost more than 80 to fix it if you are under warranty.

10. dbroncos78087 macrumors regular

Do you have any experience in repairing wires? Because honestly, unless you know exactly what you're doing and how to reattach them, then this will only end badly for you.

I highly recommend paying whatever you have to, to ensure that your connection is safe and stable.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If he tries to put that cable back together somehow and his Mac burns up over it, it will most definitely not be covered under warranty.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Yup agree. Especially with what seems to be damage caused by the user.

13. SusanK macrumors 68000

I saw the Apple branded chargers at OWC last week for about $49.

14. mpantone macrumors 6502

@blueroom is right.

Time to buy a new one.

As someone using a MacBook from 2006 with its original charger, I don't really understand how you so thoroughly destroyed yours.

Anyhow, just file this in the "cost of ownership" budget and move on with your life.

15. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I've fixed a lot of these. If you're handy with a soldering iron, continue reading.

Just strip the wires, and solder them together. Core to core, outer shielding to outer shielding.

Get out a multimeter and make sure the voltages and polarity are correct, see the Magsafe wikipedia article for the pinout.

16. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

hey new guy, no reason to be grumpy - every single person who clicked your thread had the exact same thought the second they saw that first picture.:p

My personal thoughts on wiring and playing with electricity is this: if you have to ask how to do it, you probably shouldn't be doing it.
    This isn't like running romex to a lightbulb where you are saving yourself the $200/hr of hiring an electrician to do a fairly straight forward job... i mean the principle is the same, but there are more wires, more room for error and the end result is less forgiving if you mess up. (assuming you're not so bad at wiring a lightbulb that you would do it in such a way that you would burn down your house of course)

If you mess this up you could hurt yourself...or far worse, ruin your laptop. If you can do it yourself, awesome - and i have no doubt that you could. But if it were me, i would buy a new charger and chock it up to the cost of owning a laptop. Time is money baby!

moving forward i would google "wrapping apple charger" and you'll find a bunch of articles on this. they are prone to wearing down - it's very annoying.

another option would be to buy the $10 adapter and use an old charger if you have one...

17. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

OWC has a big sale on chargers now, you get a 80W for under $50... :D

----------

I love how bodily harm is less worse than a fried piece of machine/ $$$....:eek:

Its a f-up world when that actually becomes true.... :confused:

p.s.
    i'm not saying that you hold this view in earnest, i get that you may be are being sarcastic but still ... :)

18. DisplacedMic macrumors 65816

yes, clearly I was joking.
    Please be careful, OP. It's not worth it!

19. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

i tend to agree on the not worth it part... the chance of hurting yourself isn't really that big, though still there. but the chance of messing up your mac worth over $1000 (in replacement costs) is not worth trying to save $50-80....

If the thing was fried (the computer) i'd say go for it and mess with it but now...

Good luck OP.