Mac Chess's strange behavior

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Seraphima, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Seraphima macrumors newbie

Hello, all. I've had my mac for about three months and while I'm still learning, it's been quite a good investment, I'd say. My question concerns the chess application.

On several occasions, the computer player simply stops playing. I wait and wait, more than an hour in one case, but it never makes a move. It doesn't indicate that I have won, or anything of the sort; it simply stops playing.

On another occasion, suddenly every move I attempted to make was illegal and was not allowed. Again, however, the application did not indicate that anyone had won.

This is quite confusing to me, and frustrating, as I'm attempting to improve my chess skills but cannot if the computer quits playing! :confused:

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Yours,

Seraphima

2. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

If you watch the top of the window it says the last move made and when there's a mate it will display up there.

[​IMG]

3. Seraphima thread starter macrumors newbie

Mhm... I know. :) That's why I say there's no indication of a win; the computer just stops playing.

4. martychang macrumors regular

Wait till the computer starts making illegal moves on you. Happens ALL THE TIME, dirty cheating computer :mad:

5. TheKtulu7 macrumors newbie

I have the same problem with my Chess application. I never happened until I lowered the difficulty setting to something that was actually possible to win. It only stops when I feel very confident that I'm going to win the game. I still win once in a while, but whenever I get close to having the upper hand I always worry that it will stop.