Mac Classic Noise?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by iBookG4 FTW, Mar 30, 2008.

1. iBookG4 FTW macrumors member

iBookG4 FTW

I booted up my old Macintosh Classic today, and it was making a noise it never had before. The fan sounded really loud, but I'm not sure it's even the fan.

Any ideas?

2. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

From memory there is no fan in the Macintosh Classic. About the only thing that could make a nasty noise is the HD, or possibly something jammed in the floppy drive?

3. Ill Mitch macrumors member

Ill Mitch

Do you have one of those detachable fans that sits on the top of the computer?

I have one on my old Mac Plus and it's pretty loud, I think it's just a build up of dust or something on the fan, your hard-drive should be fine.

4. iBookG4 FTW thread starter macrumors member

iBookG4 FTW

There has always been something jammed in the floppy drive, but I've never heard this noise before. it's like a loud clicking noise, but it slows down and speeds up as the computer does (like on shut down it'll slowly come to a stop.)

5. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

The Classic did have a fan for cooling. It could be that but if the sound is a clicking, it is most likely the old hard drive. You may want to find another 50 pin scsi drive if you wish to continue using this old computer.