Mac Classic with original disks and book, what's it worth?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by billyb2, May 6, 2014.

1. billyb2 macrumors newbie

billyb2

Hi guys/gals,

I have an old Mac Classic that has been sitting in my closet for quite some time. When I originally picked it up, I was going to make it into some sort of media center but never got around to it. So it's just been sitting in the closet.

One of the reasons I never modified anything is because I picked this one up with the original system software disks and manual. So I'd rather see this go to a collector.

Does anyone know where I can get a value for this, and a good place to try and sell it? I can't sell here on the marketplace because I don't post much and it will take me years to get the post count. So can anyone suggest a reputable place to put this up for offer?

Thanks in advance! Billy

2. harrymatic macrumors 6502

Hi Billy,

While prices for the low end compact Macs such as the Classic and Plus have skyrocketed since 10 years ago (you couldn't even give them away back in 2003!), they are slowly falling again having reached their zenith around 2011 with everybody cashing in on Jobs' death.

From looking at some completed eBay auctions, you can probably expect to get anywhere from $100 to $150 depending on condition.

3. kathyricks macrumors 6502

Plus you have to verify whether or not the floppy disks and the disk drive even work anymore.

4. billyb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

billyb2

Thank you for the feedback! I'll fire it up and double check the drive and disks. I know the computer itself works because I powered it up when I got it and reminisced of the good old days! :D

5. BJonson macrumors 6502a

BJonson

6. billyb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

billyb2

I'll double check when I get home to be sertain, but I'm pretty sure it is a Classic. I can take some pics tonight and share.

7. billyb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

billyb2

So I confirmed that it is in fact a Classic. However, when I tried to power it up, it will not. So I don't know what happened between now and when I stored it. But I cannot get it to power up. So obviously it is worth less. But someone can use it. So I'll see if I can find someone who can use it.

Here's some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Amen to that. I want some goddies for less than 100 dollars! :D

----------

If you can find a way, try selling it in Europe. The prices are just so much higher over here. I know from being a collector -_-

For me its a choice between super expensive product and low shipping, or vice versa. #irishmacollectorproblems #overlyspecifichashtagsonmessageboardsareinappropriate

9. OS6-OSX macrumors 6502a

OS6-OSX

Still Ticking! :D

Attached Files:

10. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Also be aware that those old Classics and Classic II's are insanely prone to leaked capacitors, especially at this this age.