Mac Cleaner?

Jonknox

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2005
60
0
is there a free aplication that will search and delete all unnescary files on your mac and all internet tracks and applications tracks like real player or quicktime?

kinda like windows washer for the pc or ccleaner?
 

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
5,872
1,855
Western US
Jonknox said:
is there a free aplication that will search and delete all unnescary files on your mac and all internet tracks and applications tracks like real player or quicktime?
In Safari, you can check Private Browsing (Safari menu) to cover your tracks, other than that there are usually not many "unnecessary" files except for application preference files in ~/Library/Preferences, which are usually very small. What kind of files are you worried about specifically?
 

Jonknox

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2005
60
0
HiRez said:
In Safari, you can check Private Browsing (Safari menu) to cover your tracks, other than that there are usually not many "unnecessary" files except for application preference files in ~/Library/Preferences, which are usually very small. What kind of files are you worried about specifically?
well im new to macs and it wierd swhiting from windows were there are always like 40000 unnesary files with every install i guess this is diffrent with a mac!
 

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
5,872
1,855
Western US
Jonknox said:
well im new to macs and it wierd swhiting from windows were there are always like 40000 unnesary files with every install i guess this is diffrent with a mac!
In OS X, most applications that you install include all their files inside them. Therefore, when you throw out an application, its accessory files go with it. If the application was installed with an installer, that may mean there are files "around" in other places on your disk, and in that case you should attempt to use an uninstaller, however the majority of applications are "packages" or "bundles". What looks to you like a single file with one icon is actually a special kind of folder that can contain any number and types of files. Right-click (or Control-click) on an application and select Show Package Contents and you will see what I mean.
 

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
4,346
1

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
4,346
1
greatdevourer said:
OnyX is amazing for the little bits
I really like(d) Onyx, but ran in to major problems during an update (back in like 10.3.5 to.6. I ran Onyx and hung, and went in to about a two day ordeal to get back to normal. It may have been just coincidental, but I've not returned to Onyx since then. Have you had good results up through 10.3.9? How is it with Tiger?
X
 

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
1,996
0
xsedrinam said:
I really like(d) Onyx, but ran in to major problems during an update (back in like 10.3.5 to.6. I ran Onyx and hung, and went in to about a two day ordeal to get back to normal. It may have been just coincidental, but I've not returned to Onyx since then. Have you had good results up through 10.3.9? How is it with Tiger?
X
Just tickabiboo

/camp
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.