Mac Cleaning Software?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lAnthonyl, Oct 21, 2012.

1. lAnthonyl macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

I was curious, I do use CCleaner as a cleanup tool on my mac, but that only mainly targets internet junk and cleans that stuff up, and cleans up a few applications, but are there any good cleaning softwares out there that target your whole system and deletes junk files? I don't know if cleaners are necessary on a mac but if they do help, let me know of some good ones and I'll download them. Thanks!

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

This is something I do not recommend. These cleaner programs are useful on Windows where a system becomes choked with temp files but on OSX, there are built in cron jobs to delete most of this chaff. Some of these "cleanup" programs can remove stuff you really need so they can be more trouble than they are worth.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps such as CCleaner to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some can even degrade, rather than improve system performance.

Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Caches exist to improve performance, so deleting them isn't advisable in most cases.

Many of the tasks performed by these apps should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

Freeing up space in Mac OS X

4. lAnthonyl thread starter macrumors newbie

lAnthonyl

Oh ok, thank you for that helpful information. Never knew that Mac OSX can actually clean itself on it's own, pretty cool!

5. vmachiel macrumors 68000

I've probably got more answers from you then anyone else on this forum combined;) Thank you