Mac Clients keep crashing when openen docx files on OS X fileserver

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by SquareOne, Sep 21, 2015.

1. SquareOne macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I am using a Mac Mini Server as file server. There are several clients machines (iMacs and MacBooks) that access the file server to store files on.
    Since a while I am experiencing a weird behavior. Frequently when opening .docx files from the file server, the client machine freezes and there is no way of fixing it without forcing to shut down the client machine. Sometimes the files becomes unusable then, but sometimes it doesn't.

I have tried to make new users accounts on the Mac Mini server, and connect with these new user accounts to the server, but it does not make a difference. Occasionally the Client will just freeze when openen a random docx file.

Does anyone have any idea where to look for a solution to this problem?

Best
    SquareOne

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

3. SquareOne thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using server version 3.2.2 on a Mac Mini server from 2011. It has two drivers that are mirrored.

4. bax2003, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015

bax2003 macrumors 6502a

bax2003

Try to disable Spotlight indexing on mounted shared drive.

[​IMG]

5. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

+1 on disabling Spotlight.

Also what version of OS X are the client Macs running? If it's Yosemite, be sure to update to 10.10.4. Pre-.4 is a nightmare when it comes to networking.