Mac Clones

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by nwcs, Jul 6, 2010.

1. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Anyone here collect (or originally buy) any of the Mac clones? I still have a PowerComputing Power 100 at my brother's house. I remember the cartoon on the powercc website when they lost their clone license. I should have saved it. :) Anyone have a copy? It was one of their trademark cartoons saying "OH #@!$@#$!" and it was up for a month I think.

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yes - MacTel. Bought a bare-bones system. Was able to at least sell it here for the cost of shipping to a collector to at least preserve it (complete with Apple Mac Clone OS disc and all paperwork).

I bought a couple of PowerComputing clones from eBay a few years back - I just didn't have the space for them and tried to give those away but couldn't. They were given to a computer disposal company... :(

3. nwcs thread starter macrumors 65816

nwcs

I forgot all about MacTel! PowerCC was the big one back then. Better specs than any Mac at the time with the 66Mhz bus. Mine has a bad SCSI drive, though, and won't boot up anymore. :(

4. MacTech68, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

You mean this (click for larger) :

[​IMG]

EDIT:

And this:

[​IMG]

And a print Ad? :

[​IMG]

I used to be involved with Umax clones but here in Australia we had the Asia/Pacific model names.

Eg,
    S9X0 = Pulsar
    J7X0 = Centauri
    CX00 = Apus

Altogether not too bad except where these had the same SCSI issues suffered by the equivalent 54xx/64xx in earlier 7.5.x 7.6.x systems.

the Pulsar (tower) was my favourite but I never rescued one. :(

5. nwcs thread starter macrumors 65816

nwcs

Cool! Thank you! I think there were actually several variations of that one, too. I tried looking it up in the wayback machine but it didn't have it.