@mac.com wont be Push(?)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GuillaumeB, Jul 2, 2008.

1. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

i am wondering whether @mac.com email will be pushed. Cause that would mean that Apple is expecting all users to change their present configuration and redo it using the Exchange option. It would be realiy Appleish

So i believe it would is simpler to leave @mac as it is with a simple redirection to @me.com and provide out of the box exchange settings for @me.com

What u think

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I think you don't understand.

Don't worry, you won't have to set it up as an exchange server (because it's not).

3. GuillaumeB thread starter macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Well yes right now you set up your @mac.com email address a certain way. In order to get push you have to set up your email address as a sort of rebranded Exchange account (MobileMe) because it IS Exchange. And the settings HAVE to be different.

My point is that that should Apple allow Push for @mac.com, it would mean that they expect users to redo their settings.

It's like say they'd suddenly allow IMAP (which actually they do) instead of POP... that would mean they expect users to redo their email configuration when introducing IMAP. It does not sound really Apple-ish to me

So my point is that Apple would probably think it would be more simple for everyone to simply leave @mac.com email addresses as they are and offer Exchange-like feature on another email address. They would just add a redirection of @mac.com to @me.com

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

No, it is not exchange. That is like calling all facial tissues Kleenex and expecting them to all be made by the same company.

5. GuillaumeB thread starter macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

MobileMe uses Microsoft ActiveSync..."Exchange for the rest of us"

... whatever it may be.. it still requires a different setting.. that's why you see a special logo in the mail configuration of the iPhone 2.0 software

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Again, you're wrong.

"It works like ActiveStink... er... ActiveSync" - Phil. Push email, contacts, and calendars. Everything is up-to-date, wherever you are.

Important word: "like"

Using your logic dotmac was a new set of APIs for OS X because they called it .NET for the rest of us. (Hint: dotmac was nothing like .NET) DotMac also had a special icon in the iphone as well as the OS X mail program. What happened differently when you hit that button as opposed to the imap button? It autofilled your account info. Thats it. It wasn't anything special. You could connect just fine using the IMAP setting if you wanted to fill out that server info manually.

Seriously, you're over reacting and spreading FUD.

7. GuillaumeB thread starter macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

8. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

We saw at WWDC, so you don't have to wait and see as you imply.

Here is another example: They announced 10.6 at WWDC as well. That doesn't mean mobileme requires 10.6 to work. (In fact it will work with 10.4.)

The information is out there. Mobileme is not exchange and the transition will be incredibly painless. You won't have to worry, really.