Mac Coming into Focus As Attack Target

Discussion in 'macOS' started by johnee, Jun 1, 2007.

1. johnee macrumors 6502a

johnee

2. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

So? Apple will respond by taking security to another level. The fact that OSX was built from the ground up and Windows Vista has old bits of 98 and xp code in makes Windows so much easier to crack.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

And Apple has stepped up the number of Security Updates it puts out...

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Err OS X was in no way "built from the ground up". You do know it is based on Unix don't you?

Some parts of the OS have a 30 year history to them. Granted the code has changed significantly but it was built based on an OS that predates 1998 by 20 years easily.

5. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

Do you mean Tiger was built from the ground up, or OSX as a whole? If you mean OSX as a whole, the criticising Vista for having elements of XP in it make no sense, as Tiger has elements of 10.1 in it, which lead to the same conclusion. I agree that Windows is easier to crack, but at least give better reasons than it simply being an update of XP, as by your logic Tiger and even Leopard and just as vulnerable.

6. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

You might want to remember that tag in the future. Some people don't have my keen ability to recognize sarcasm.

7. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

This guy said it best:

8. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

Having "old" code does not by nature make it insecure.

UNIX derivatives are secure for that reason, they have been battle-tested in a wide variety of environment and the code has been scrutinised by many eyes.

Provided it is maintained, there is no reason that OS X cannot be as secure as it is toady, regardless of market-share.

One thing you cannot afford to be is blasé when it comes to security and I think Apple have demonstrated that they are certainly not.

I prefer the current option.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

People keep saying it, but they keep not doing it. Lest we not forget that just a few months ago, we had a month devoted to finding MacOS X vulnerabilities. In the first few days, some worrisome problems were reported. However, the project turned into a big snooze long before the month ended.

Let's get a few things straight:

There are no MacOS X viruses.
    There is no MacOS X spyware.

Wake me when you find one.

10. chadi macrumors member

Well there was this: http://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/encyclopedia?virusid=112895 spreading it actually started on this forum (as they mention in the description).

To be fair to your statement, define a virus...if by a virus you mean some malicious code that can damage your system...then there is such a thing (check link) if by a virus you mean something that could bring an entire network to it's knees via some backdoor in OS X and propagate to other machines across the network (similar to how windows virii spread a lot of the time) then no there isn't.

I do enjoy how my mac requires a lot less precaution, as do my linux boxes, compared to my windows ones. But I do think we should keep an open mind :D

Or at least try to :apple:

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

You're making wild guesses at what you think a computer virus is... Look it up.

12. Nym macrumors 6502a

Nym

Until I get a nasty one that deletes my Home folder I'll be singing:

"Macs don't have viruses Macs don't have Spyware" ...

bwahahahahah.