Mac compatible Blu Ray...anyone getting it?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 7racer, Aug 19, 2010.

1. goMac macrumors 603

Not really all that new. There have been Bluray internal drives working on Mac Pros for a while.

What's really needed is Bluray playback.

2. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

MCE Technologies have been making Mac Pro specific Blu-ray drives for a quite a while, as well. Nothing new here.

In addition, most PC Blu-ray drives can be made to fit in a Mac Pro by simply removing the bezel from the tray.

But still, none of this changes the fact that it would be a data-only solution in OS X. You still need to boot into Windows to actually watch Blu-ray movies.

3. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

But you can encode and author blu video in OSX, at least, can't you (Toast, DVDSP, Compressor)? Frustrating if you can't preview the encodes, though. Do you know if any of the authoring app's provide a way to preview blu video in OSX?

4. Vylen macrumors 65816

Not entirely true anymore:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=841318

Possibly out of date - might've improved a bit since then. But you get the idea.

5. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Oops, it looks like DVDSP doesn't support blu. Compressor will encode, though. Toast (with plugin) will encode blu, also, and should burn it for you. I think the only authoring solution is Encore,

6. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Nope, that's pretty much still it. There seems to be a bug in either Make MKV or Plex that is preventing UPnP streaming and the devs on both sides aren't making it a priority to address. Once done, it should be a matter of a simple plug-in for Plex to play Blu-rays straight off the disc. What will still be challenging, though, is the on-the-fly extraction of the 5.1 or analog audio from the HD audio of the disc. You'll need a pretty beefy cpu and the i3 may not be enough. The i5 and i7 are plenty and perhaps the high frequency Core 2 Duos as well, but only time will tell.

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

What's the best internal blu-ray drive that seems to be the most popular among Mac Pro owners so far? I've been checking OWC's drives. What are people's thoughts on those?

8. Nautigar macrumors regular

I'd be interested to know that, too ...!

Also, does it matter whether the drive is internally directly connected to SATA or indirectly by USB or preferrably Firewire in an external case ...?

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I have an LG Blu-ray burner/HD-DVD ROM/DVD-CD burner in a Bytecc USB/FW/eSATA enclosure. My drive is no longer made, but just about any LG Blu-ray drive should work.

10. SmilesLots macrumors regular

SmilesLots

Back when blu-ray first came out, I bought the 1.1 Mac Pro and installed a Sony BW100 burner. I've never used it to urn a BD movie. But it does work quite well. ATA drive. Not sure what would be equivalent in sata.

11. carlyon macrumors newbie

I've got an LG GGW-H20L SATA drive in the lower bay - works fine.

12. Hamburg macrumors newbie