Mac Compatible Camcorder?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by maxthedrummer, Feb 18, 2008.

1. maxthedrummer macrumors newbie

So I bought a JVC "mac compatible" HDD 20GB camcorder about a year ago. The camcorder records in .mod and comes with this bad software to convert it to quicktime but it takes a really long time just to convert a 30 second clip. You can't seem to be able to just drag and drop the files onto your desktop and convert them later either. As you can imagine this is a real pain because you have to spend a lot of time getting them onto your mac when you could be filming. Does anyone know of a camcorder that would work easier with my mac that is in the $300-500 range. Thanks.

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I too have a JVC camcorder (30g version Enviro) and it works great with iMovie.

NOW, having saved the .mod files on an external HD took some googling to find out but YOU CAN import them into iMovie.

First of all, I was told through lots of reading that the Quicktime Pro ($20) was needed for the iMovie import even from the camera.

Once the Quicktime Pro is installed, I just hook my JVC up via USB, iMovie opens up and the import process continues as normal (check the movies I want, select "Import Checked" and go about my business)

Secondly to import existing .mod files from say an external HD required creating a folder, then another folder inside it and then dropping the .mod files into it. iMovie will then recognize the folder as a Camera and go through the import process.

I'm not at my iMac so I don't have the specifics on the folder names, but once I got through these little issues, my JVC is 100% compatible and since August I have been using it with iMovie flawlessly. There's no need for drag and drop with this camera and the Mac.

When I get to my Mac I can give more specific information. It's real easy to set up.

3. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

For easiest compatibility I'd look for MiniDV-tape camcorders, rather than HDD-based ones. Anything by Panasonic, Canon, etc. would work fine. I've got an Optura by Canon that I'm happy with.

4. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Ok unsure what tutorial I found but this is what I have.

For existing *.mod files that were moved off my HDD camera for storage, I created a folder on a removable drive (unsure if it has to be removable, i.e., usb drive) called "MP_Root" (without the quotes) and inside it I have a folder called "101PNV01" (again without the quotes) and I drop the *.mod files in it and open iMovie. It recognizes that folder as a camera and I can import my old *.mod files into iMovie.

For movies on my camera, I just plug in the USB cable and it automatically opens iMovie and the import window.

5. nance2900 macrumors newbie

Please help!

I just bought this camcorder this weekend and I took your advice and bought Quicktime Pro...but it still doesn't work! I am ready to take it back...can you help so I don't have to?!

6. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Sure thing.

You can PM me and I'll help out best I can. If you have the same or similar camcorder it should work just fine with iMovie. In fact I just did 2 iMovie events last night.