Mac compatible CD/DVD Label Maker

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BigPrince, Jun 16, 2007.

1. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Anyone care to suggest something nice? Preferably under $20 dollars, but feel free to suggest anything.

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Sharpies. 4 colors for about eight bucks.

Seriously, you don't want to put adhesive labels on discs. really bad things can happen, particularly on slot-loading machines (ie, most Macs)

When I really want to have a nice looking disc, I have an Epson R200 Stylus Photo. The current model, the R260, retails for $90 direct from Epson (meaning cheaper than that street price), six-color, and prints directly to printable discs.

3. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

I won't be shoving them in computers, just DVD players. My mom really wants to have some nice labels because I just made a movie for her 30th high school reunion.

4. dex22 macrumors regular

I *love* my R200.

It's got 6 separate ink cartridges, and I can get 600-800 pages out of a single black cartridge, which costs $3 to replace. Being able to replace each cartridge individually has saved me a LOT of money over the years.

It's a sturdy printer, and it's pretty smart too. When you put your DVDs on the carriage it uses, it has white marks on it, and it slides it back and forth and measures the marks, so you get a perfectly positioned print every time.

All I wish for but don't have with this printer is an 'ink level widget' for my dashboard.

5. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

I would rather use stickers because I do not want to be locked into buying a specific media.

6. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

I use AppleWorks or Pages to create my CD labels, but there are specific commercial products available. I remember seeing a Mac-specific one when we had a CompUSA in the area. I don't remember the name, so I did a search on the Apple Products Guide in the Productivities & Utilities section for "CD label" (without the quotes) & came up with 22 possibilities. Not all are label programs, but I do see a few. It used to be a lot easier to find this "Made 4 Mac" section, but with the redesign I went to the main Apple page, click the Mac tab &, at the bottom of the page, the bottom choice under Support is Products Guide.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The printable media is just a plain, flat white-coated, and really inexpensive. I get the cheapie "GQ" (Great Quality) no-name brand from Fry's (CDs and DVDs) for less than the name branded non-printables. A 100-CD spindle is $25.

Never had a single disc fail, either.

Not only that, they take Sharpie real well... ;)

8. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

This is going to be used for DVD's. How much is a spindle of 100 DVD's?

9. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

Is it true that adhesive labels can cause the actual disc to become warped?

10. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

Epson IS the way to go!

Like everyone has mentioned, the epson printers are the absolute best way to go. Reliable, Stunning Color, CHEAP!!, Indiidual Cartriges. What more could you possibly want!! Have seen them at frys as low as 79.00!
    Labels have a tendancy to raise a bit sometimes & if one comes up while spinning, say goodbye to whatever it was in as it shatters inside.

11. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

I am thinking maybe using that light scribe technology. Anyone have any opinions on that?

12. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Whatever the ratio is for non-printables, it'd be the same, likely.

The LightScribe looks gorgeous, if you like brown. It "etches" or burns an image on to specially coated discs, basically monochrome. It's both a drive and media combination.

13. cube macrumors G5

There are now colored CD-Rs.

14. BigPrince thread starter macrumors 68020

Thank you for all your help. I've decided to hold off on this idea for now.

15. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

But they're still monochrome, within that particular color, right? I've seen the LightScribe output, and it's really nice, but I'd want four-color at least. Maybe by my 60th birthday, I guess. Sigh...

16. cube macrumors G5

Of course, but the packs contain disks of different colors. You can see what they look like at http://lightscribe.com

17. MacChallenged macrumors newbie

18. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

Then you've had better luck with that brand of CD than I have had with their DVDs. I've made more than a few "GQ" coasters.

19. weckart macrumors 68040

Magic Mouse Discus is probably the easiest to use, and you can run it from the installation DVD without installing. Not so good with exotic fonts, though. Comes with plenty of templates.

Otherwise DiscLabel bundled with Toast is fine.

I also had the Pressit kit for Mac, in the days when stick on labels was the only option. I thought it was clunky and did not like the bundled software.

As far as printers go, I was warned off the Epson R200 as it was supposed to leak ink all over the rollers. The inks are also said to evaporate quickly even when not used.

I settled for the Canon IP4000, and am very happy with the results, but I understand that the US version does not allow printing to disc, for some reason.

20. smartw macrumors newbie