Mac compatible Router.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by gskowal, Jul 11, 2008.

1. gskowal macrumors member

Hi guys looking to buy a router so i can connect my iMac and PS3 to internet but i`m having a hard time on choosing a good router that would not drop signal and be compatible with IMAC... thanks!

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I use a Linky. Good ole Linky. My iMac, MB, Wii, and 2 DS's use it to access the internet wirelessly and it works great. No drop issues, Back to my Mac works flawlessly on it.

[​IMG]

3. BlackMax macrumors 6502a

BlackMax

Most of the highly rated wired broadband routers with RJ45 ports should work fine and should be totally compatible with all Apple computers.

If you are interested in wireless you probably want to go with Apple's AirPort Extreme Base Station with Gigabit Ethernet.

You just have to decide how much you want to spend and whether you want to go strictly wired or wireless.

I use a DLink DGL-4100 Broadband Gigabit Gaming Router and it works great.

You can also check out other models from Dlink, Linksys and NetGear and review their ratings to find the best device. Look for devices that support gigabit.

4. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I used to have an older model of the Linksys posted above, with only wireless B, and it would not reach more than about 30 feet from the point where it was positioned. Its wireless was almost unusable except for the room right next to it (a guest room). We luckily had our house wired with Ethernet so it was not a big deal most of the time, and it was a major plus on how many ports it had. Now, our new house has only a few ethernet ports, mostly in the basement for DirecTV, Xbox 360, etc., so I knew we needed a better wireless router. After a good deal of research, it was between the Airport Extreme and a Linksys router that is no longer in production. We currently have all our computers hooked up over a wireless network--the Macs are connected via wireless N and get great speeds and the PC and iPod Touch are connected via G and I can use my touch in the backyard. We use all the Airport's ethernet ports, but it is not a big deal because it is connected to a modem with multiple ports. I could not get one of my older printers to work via USB, but it was due for replacement anyway, and so I purchased an Ethernet printer to share over the network. I have also tested the AirDisk. If you have a Mac, it works almost seamlessly, although it is a bit slow--much slower than a USB connection, let alone FireWire. The AirPort utility is also very well made--it works seamlessly on a Mac (not so well on a Windows XP machine) and will automatically alert you of new updates.

So it depends on what you need/can use. If you want a router with good wireless capability, I recommend the AirPort. If Ethernet is important to you, the Linksys might be the better route, although if you really want the features of the AirPort, you could always get an ethernet splitter for the AirPort. I like the extra features the Airport provides-printing, AirDisk, good wireless range, great interoperability with other Apple products, the ability to add more Apple routers and set them up as extensions of your network (I am actually contemplating putting an AirPort Express in the basement so we can get a better reception down there), and the user-friendliness of the AirPort utility (it is very easy to set up and change settings if you know a small amount about what the settings do). The Linksys uses a web interface, which I find a bit annoying. My old Linksys also had problems with dropping out, even over ethernet.

Hope that helps a bit!

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I know the similar models you speak of. They stunk as far as range (wireless B)

The one I got and to the OP any modern router these days should work good. Just as one poster above put, read reviews.

The one I've got is in my basement and it reaches 2 stores above in my bedroom and has excellent range. Wireless N would reach better but again, the signal I have is rated as excellent (full bars on both windows and OS X) in the bedroom and in my kids rooms.

Find a good deal on an N or G and you should be fine.

6. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

Another vote for the Linksys

And here is another vote for the Linksys. I have one in my home and it's perfect. I connect my MacBook, my wife's Powerbook, my Wii and another iBook to it without a problem.

I had used an airport express in the same location (my home) but highly prefer the range and signal power of the Linksys.

7. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Yes, I agree with the above poster. You should not get an Airport Express considering that you are trying to create a new network, not extend an existing one. That is what the Express is mainly for (aside from AirTunes and wireless printing). Do not get one if you need Ethernet at all--you won't have any ports open.

8. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

dont get a dlink or atleast the cheap one, its weak and drops signals alot if theres alot of wireless devices there was 4 and made it to 3 since my ps3 i would always lose connection and get booted from the game, so get a linksys im probably going to buy one myself.

9. gskowal thread starter macrumors member

Which Linksys model are you using? Is it the WRT54G? GL? GS? GL has better ratings on some websites...

10. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Can't say right now, I'm not near it. Regardless, I've had it a long time and it hasn't failed me at all. No issues with any of my Windows boxes/laptops, my kids Nintendo DS's, Wii, iMac, MB, even my Ubuntu box.

I would say GS but can't tell for sure I'd have to wait till I got home to double check.

Either way, it works great.

11. gskowal thread starter macrumors member

I`ll wait for you to check it. :) no rush.

12. gskowal thread starter macrumors member

13. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

ROFL I actually forgot about this post.

WRT54GSV4

Is what I have.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So you run an 802.11g network with WEP or no encryption, I'm guessing (since you use DSes)?

I've used Linksys, Netgear, and Apple (that I've owned) and pretty much everything else that I've not owned. They're pretty much all compatible. Especially since this conversation is all about 802.11g routers, just don't spend too much money on it. No reason to spend more than $50 on something in this class at this point.

The Apple ones are my personal favorite, and I guess you could actually pick up a used AEBS (bombproof and easy to configure) in that price range, but a Linksys for $30-40 is fine also.

Do the iMac and/or the PS3 have 802.11n? If money is less of a concern and you want more range, n-class devices are a little harder to shop for, but if you choose the right one, it gives you a lot more flexibility to achieve a good consistent signal.

15. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I use WEP because the DS's can't do WPA and yes I use WEP encryption. The DS's connect just fine with the WEP encryption, I had issues using WPA so I took it off. I was pretty stoked when I got to play my son in florida in a game of mario kart. Now he wants to do Metroid Hunters.

I also have my wireless MAC filter enabled and do not broadcast my SSID.