Mac Compatible SD Memory Camcorder Help!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by msarway, Dec 6, 2007.

1. msarway macrumors 6502

msarway

I have the Samsung SC-X210L camcorder and it uses SD cards. This Camcorder is not compatible with the mac i have to convert all the files and that is a pain and so far i cant get the avi files to work. I want to buy a new camcorder this is small like this i only use it for kids and some other miner use not big into video yet, What would be a good camcorder for me to buy. i like the SD issue because its compact. i am open to all suggestions or help.

thank you.

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Almost any Mini DV camera would be good. Even a four year old used camera from ebay could give better results then one of those memory card based cameras. The limitations of the physically smaller mini DV camera are their low light ability, maybe you do not care about this

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

I guess if you want guarenteed compatibility take a look at the Apple.com store under camcorders. The ones they list there are definitely compatible. I have a JVC Enviro which uses and internal hard drive and is totally compatible. I did need to buy the Quicktime mPeg converter (20 bucks) and now it's flawless.

Your camera should work but we don't know exactly what you mean by "not compatible" It might be you just need the mPeg converter to import into iMovie.

Does your Mac show a Harddrive icon on your desktop when you connect it? If so then we're almost there. Is it that it just doesn't recognize the video files? Does iMovie not recognize it (this could be a number of things)?

A quick google brought up this page:

http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/sportscam/vpost?id=1078186

Do a google on your camera model number and use various combinations of "Samsung SC-X210L" and the words "Mac", or "OS X", or "Tiger Leopard" etc.

That camera IS supposed to be mac compatible but it appears the video format is not Quicktime compatible and you just might need a converter.

4. msarway thread starter macrumors 6502

msarway

Thank you all for help. but The AVI files from the Samsung camera require a special codec that is not available for the MAC. Will the mpeg 2 option help.

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Did you read the entire thread I posted? I still see this:

from what they say they CAN use the files