Mac-compatible wifi network camera with iphone viewer app

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by m021478, Apr 28, 2009.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

Can someone please suggest a wifi network camera that I can use with my Mac which also has an iPhone app that would allow me to view the camera's live streaming video from on my iphone. Best options etc., with specific camera models would be appreciated.

I know there are a number of these remote web cam viewer iPhone apps out there, but I am unclear as to whether or not they really work.

I currently have a D-Link web cam which is entirely incompatible with my Mac and I can only access it is via Internet Explorer on my VMware Virtual Machine (I'd previously used it with my PC)... I mention this because I need the webcam to be accessible from my iPhone, I also need it to be fully compatible Mac...

Any suggestions? Thanks!

2. ZebraineZ macrumors 6502

Search Qik in cydia. It streams over wifi and your EDGE/3G network. You can sign up for the website in the app itself and it will auto login you in the app. To see your live stream you can check on qik.com/yourusername . Also after you press stop in the app it automatically saves the video to your site/account :) and from there you can delete videos, and even set them to be public or private.

The app is seriously AWSOME I used it on my cousins when they weren't looking :) its sick and there is only like a 5 second delay between your phone and the live stream (of course, its a phone not a 20,000$ camera from FOX or sumting).

Have fun<3

3. phoenixdude24 macrumors member

i believe he just wants to view the feed from the iphone, and not use his iphones camera. If i'm reading it right he wants basically a webcam on his home network that he can view from his iphone anywhere. Though i could be wrong and he could be asking for directions to egypt for all i know...

4. bakerster macrumors regular

5. m021478 thread starter macrumors 6502

You are correct...I essentially want a network webcam connected to my home network via ethernet or wifi, which I can then access either locally or remotely from any internet-ready computer (Mac or PC), and ideally from any iPhone (or at least, from any iPhone with the proper web cam app installed on it, if that is something that winds up being required)

any thoughts?

6. phoenixdude24 macrumors member

not to bring up an old thread but i just got evocam (mac software) and "i-c-livecams" (iphone app) working and it does exactly what you want, allows me to view the feed on the iphone and everything, very nifty...

7. tonyoevans macrumors newbie

I have two Axis 207W cameras and a 213PTZ all of which I can view from the iPhone or any web connected PC (using a browser)

I have downloaded a few apps (and subsequently deleted) that offer control (the 213PTZ can be moved remotely, awesome camera) and they weren't bad but I could get most of what I needed from the mobile safari browser which should be improved with 3.0 as it will automatically remember the username and password.

All I have done is have a icon on my desktop that takes me to the appropriate camera.

Any wifi camera should work, the mjpg (motion jpeg) which most camera use is supported by safari