Mac Compatible Wireless Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JStein1313, Jul 20, 2011.

1. JStein1313 macrumors newbie

I'm basically looking for something that does what the Time-capsule does (w/o the router portion) for less money, I know it's out there but just a little tricky getting solid ones that support both Mac and Windows.

You guys have any recommendations you've heard from friends or personal use? I'm looking for one above 1 tb (preferably above that, in the 2 tb-ish range), I'm wanting to partition half of it for Time Machine back ups and then the other half for Media content so that I can hopefully stream to my Xbox 360 or other computers.

Again it's important that it's wireless, above 1tb perferably around 2 tb's, Mac and Windows compatible.

Here's site that I peaked at, if you can recommend any off of here: http://www.mac-backup-drives.com/

2. simsaladimbamba

You could also look into Ethernet HDDs, which then could be connected to your router via Ethernet cable and you could connect to it wirelessly.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There's no such thing as Mac or Windows compatible drives. Any drive can be used with either one if it's formatted properly. Even if it comes pre-formatted, you can always reformat the drive to your liking.

4. JStein1313 thread starter macrumors newbie

Can't you Partition it into two and then format them appropriately to each OS?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can.

6. JStein1313 thread starter macrumors newbie

So would you have any recommendations for a 2tb wireless external HDD?

7. JStein1313 thread starter macrumors newbie