Mac connecting to deleted WIFI SSID

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macmacmacr, Apr 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. macmacmacr macrumors member

I have removed /Library/preferences/SystemConfiguration by placing the information in the trash. But my Yosemite Mac still ocnnects to a SSID which requires a password. The SSID does not show in my preferred names.

Why is my Mac connecting to this secured network after clearing all infomration?

This is a very serious flaw it suggests a hidden SSID and password location on the Mac.

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Nope, it just means that you have connected to that protected SSID in the past, and the password is still stored in your Keychain, and not just in System Configuration files.
    Search for the SSID in your Keychain Access utility.
    - Remove that SSID item from Keychain Access. There may be more than one entry for your SSID.
    And, the connect information may be shared through your iCloud, so any device that uses your AppleID may use that kind of information.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 16, 2017 ---
    Also, as there was some discussion about this in your OTHER thread on this same issue -
    Delete the SSID info from your Keychain.
    Reset NVRAM. There is some question in my mind about the usefulness of that, and if the normal user SSID is even kept in NVRAM, but no harm in doing a good NVRAM reset anyway :D
    Be sure the SSID is cleared from OTHER devices/iPhones/iPads/Macs that share your AppleID (if any)

On the other hand, if this is an SSID that you normally (or occasionally) connect to, from that MBPro, why do you need to remove it?

3. macmacmacr thread starter macrumors member

Correct Delta cat. I initially had problems removing the value from the keychain but I moved it to another key chain to delete the entry.

I am still surprised that the Network preferences did not show any information yet the Mac OS still connected to the SSID.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you want to assure that your Mac does not attempt to connect to previously stored SSID, then perhaps you can make sure that the Network pane setting "Remember networks this computer has joined" is un-checked.
    You can also "Require administrator authorization to Change networks"
    That will stop that little annoyance, eh?

5. tryrtryrtryrt Suspended

Actually Network Preferences do show it: Network Preferences -> choose Wi-Fi connection on the left -> Advanced... -> Wi-Fi tab -> list Preferred Networks -> just remove the network you want from the list.
    As for NVRAM - Macs clearly save some Wi-Fi networks to NVRAM but I'm not sure if these are only those you connect to during macOS setup or recovery or if these are just last N Wi-Fi networks you ever connected to. For this reason (and for others) I always clear NVRAM when I sell a Mac.