Mac Connection MBP Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ncllb33, Dec 8, 2008.

1. ncllb33 macrumors newbie

Ive been in the market for a MBP for a couple of months now, and I feel that based on my graduate student budget, an older model will do me justice over the unibody mbp.

On MacConnection I have spotted a mbp for $1,300, after rebate, which I feel is a good deal.

http://test.pcconnection.com/IPA/Shop/Product/Detail.htm?sku=8254304

I am a web designer that primarily uses dreamweaver/flash/ai/ps. The reason for the 15 inch screen is cost and portability, I have a larger display at home as well as a flat panel television if I need more workspace.

I have a couple of questions though.

1. I want to make sure it is at least a Penryn MBP with the multi touch. I researched the part number, MB133LL/A, and have found that it is in fact an early 2008 model with the penryn. But maybe there is something I am missing?

2. Applecare, worth the extra $350?

3. Should I worry about the 8600GT for what I will be using it for? I wont be playing games on this machine (Thats what my PC desktop is for), and rarely need to video edit, but still will have to once in a while.

Thanks in advance, I have researched and searched this information on these forums for months, but just need some personal peace of mind.
    -Nick

2. jon08 macrumors 65816

For Applecare, don't waste the $350 buying it off a regular store... I guess you can save about half of this money by just getting it off eBay.

People have been recommending this dude 'memorymate' on eBay, who sells Macbook Pro AppleCare for about $196, and you can get extra % off by using Live.com discount. Moreover, 'memorymate' will get you 10% xmas rebate if you mention that you've been directed to him by certain people on this forum (like 'melissuhh' ).

3. ncllb33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the applecare info, I was under the impression you had to buy it with the computer.

4. jon08 macrumors 65816

Oh btw, from what I know all these early 2008 MBP models have the Penryn processor and as far as the graphic card is concerned, I believe it should be more than enough for what you will be doing with it, especially since you do not intend to use it for gaming.

5. ncllb33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help Jon.

I ordered the MBP, after taxes and rebate it will come to $1,380. I couldnt pass that deal up.

I know all of the 2008 have Penryn, I was just making sure this wasnt a mid-2007 model. But as described on mac connection it sounds like the early 2008 update.

Thanks a lot!