Mac Constantly Getting The Beach Ball

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MitchellMck, Aug 18, 2011.

1. MitchellMck macrumors member

Hey guys,

The last couple of weeks I've saw my MacBook's performance drop. I keep getting 'the beach ball' for all sorts of things and the fans on my MacBook are always going crazy. It happens mostly when I'm watching any type of video. It will all be going fine but then all of a sudden the video will freeze for about 5 seconds but the audio will continue. It also happens even when I'm scrolling down pages that just contain text and not much information. Anyone know what could be wrong?

Thanks!

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Nope. Check Activity Monitor and Console for clues.

3. PS65 macrumors 6502

Not by any chance watching in Safari? Sounds like the Safari 5.1 memory leak issue?

Also, have you upgraded to Lion? I did a clean install last night because I was suffering with a similar issue. Computer works wonderfully fast now (like new).

4. MitchellMck thread starter macrumors member

Nope. Tried Chrome and Firefox and the problem still seems to persist. And no I'm still on Snow Leopard. A few months ago I did upgrade the hard drive but there was no problems up until the last couple of weeks so I'm not sure if the problem could be something to do with that or not.

5. PS65 macrumors 6502

Try the disk utility to check for any errors?

6. MitchellMck thread starter macrumors member

Just started Repairing permissions I'll see how that goes.