Mac controls PC (xp) mouse/keyboard through ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whyrichard, Sep 7, 2009.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

Is there an application that will allow me my mac to control the mouse and keyboard of my windows machine though ethernet?

I know of synergy, but their mac support is almost non existant... and want something easy to setup... am willing to pay for a decent app nowadays....

Any other options?

thanks,
    r.

2. chris3g macrumors member

i don't know of anything other than synergy, but i don't know why you would need anything else either. I use it on 10.6 and control a windows 7 pc over ethernet or wireless and it works perfectly.

3. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

4. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

You got it working in snow leopard with a windows pc????!!

Do Tell... i must be inept with this stuff right now....

Could you point me to the correct mac download, and perhaps even instructions on how to get it set up?

thanks a lot!

r.

5. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I can't get the synergykm pref pane to turn on. It needs to be updated for SL? Has anyone gotten synergykm prefpane to work with SL?

r.

6. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

When i try to turn synergy on through the new SynergyKM (which is supposed to work with SL) i ge a message that reads "Synergyd.app is an application downloaded from the internet. Are you sure you want to open it?" I click open and it turns off immedieatly, saying "Status: Error: unknown screen name "xxxx"

r.

7. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

...alright... alright... got it.....

!

thanks,
    r.

8. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

the only thing missing is a middle mouse click....

is that possible?

r.

9. chris3g macrumors member

i really didn't even know there were any issues with snow leopard...i just copied mine over from my 10.5 install and it continued to work as usual. I haven't even updated to B7 which i see is now available.

10. chris3g macrumors member

well i just updated to the new version, it now has a 64bit pref pane and menu bar extra, nice :D

11. Divindude macrumors member

Why not just download remote desktop from Microsoft? It's free

12. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

What happened to VNC?
    or am i not reading this correctly? :confused:

13. chris3g macrumors member

this is different from VNC and RDP. This is a solution for controlling 2 computers, each with their own monitors (or a desktop and a laptop like i use it) with a single keyboard and mouse.

It is much faster than vnc or rdp since there is no video, over ethernet it is basically identical to a hardwired mouse and keyboard.

the usage is more similar to dual monitors...you move your mouse to the edge of one screen, and it jumps over to the other screen. except the other screen is actually a totally separate computer.

14. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

oooh..... fancy...:D

15. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

so not too dissimilar from screen sharing on the mac (which controls other macs) then? :D
    PTP

16. chris3g macrumors member

it's pretty slick, you can copy and paste automatically between them as well. and it connects and disconnects seamlessly, so it will automatically connect a laptop whenever it detects it is there and disconnect it when it is not, you don't have to do anything.