Mac conversions: my story

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by valdore, Oct 14, 2007.

1. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

In 2006 I lusted after a mac pro so much that instead of buying one right away, I invested in some Apple stock, which I've enjoyed watching triple in about 15 months.

I was hearing about the switch to Intel processors and how Macs could now run Windows. I think that was what made me run out and get my MacBook at the friendly neighborhood Apple store. I bought Parallels with it and installed XP.

Then, when I kept filling up the hard drive on my Dell desktop with photos, I sold a kidney on the black market and got my Mac Pro. The funny thing is, although I have Parallels and an XP disk, I've never bothered installing them on the Mac Pro, because, quite simply I never need Windows, for anything. I was reticent to get a Mac at first because I erroneously assumed I would have to devote much frustration to learning to the ins and outs of another operating system. Little did I know that OS X is so much less of a hassle to master than Windows, I find, after having battled with all the foibles and frustrations of working with Windoze Millenium (worst operating system EVAR!) and later XP (although I think XP was pretty decent).

I took the plunge into Macs because they could run Windows, then I found that I never even need Windows after all. I have to surmise this was part of Jobs' fiendish plan - let them run windows, then let them realize they don't even need windows.

Also, I hear many people - coworkers, friends, whoever else - who are interested in Macs and OS X because they first they were enamored with the iPod and have become more and more familiar with Apple's products. I wonder if Steve Jobs and company are really that smart and foresightful, or was Apple just dealt a good hand of cards? I'm not sure, but from what I can tell, Macs are getting more popular every year.

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

...What?:confused::eek:

3. valdore thread starter macrumors 65816

valdore

Well, almost... ;)

4. WildPalms macrumors 6502a

WildPalms

Wow. You really started out well and we had such high hopes...and then you penned those last 2 sentences.

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Well, I'm glad you're enjoying the Mac experience.

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Yeah...you lost me...somewhere...