Mac convert

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ezraa, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Ezraa macrumors newbie

soon to be anyway :D

I originally planned on getting the 21.5" iMac but my mom persuaded me to for the 27" lol. The one with 3.1GHz i5, Radeon HD 6970M. The only thing I plan on upgrading is the RAM from 4GB to 8GB.

I'll mostly just web browse and watch lots of hulu, netflix, ect. I do plan on gaming like Deus Ex Human Revolution, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, F3AR and I know some if not all will have to be run less than native resolution and I'm fine with that.

I am scared about having screen issues like yellow tint or a dead pixel. Would I have trouble returning it since I added RAM(BTO)? What are the differences between getting AppleCare or if I bought it at Best Buy and choose Black Tie instead?

Thanks! I look forward to hearing from you and I look forward to getting my new iMac.

2. brokendawn, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2011

brokendawn macrumors newbie

I have the 2010 27" high-end iMac and it still runs games like those (on Bootcamp, not natively) like a charm on full 2560 x 1440 resolution. Admittedly you will have to tweak some graphical settings like turning off AA and Shadows, but other than that everything can mostly be left at Medium - High.

It does not really matter where you get your iMac from? An Apple product is an Apple product and is covered by warranty wherever you go. Upgrading the RAM should not affect the warranty status of the iMac. On the side note though, if that is all you are planning on doing on the iMac, do you really require the 4gb additional RAM? With the preinstalled 4GB of RAM I could run WoW natively in OSX and also watch a 720p video at the same time, with no signs of slow downs.

With AppleCare, you can get your default 1-year International Warranty extended to a 3-year International Warranty, with 1-year on-call service. I am not too sure about what Best Buy offers, as I am from Malaysia and there is no Best Buy available locally, but with Apple Care it means wherever you go, as long as there is an authorised Apple Reseller, you can go there to get your Mac fixed.

As for your yellow tinting question, I have yet to experience that on mine, and I have had this iMac since July 2010, and it has yet to happen to me. I HAVE however encountered a graphic card meltdown once, but Apple got it replaced for free as I was covered under Apple Care. It is probably due to my fault as sometimes when I do some gaming on my Mac I conveniently leave the game running when I go out with my friends as I am THAT negligent.