Mac cooler + review

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by growl28, Jul 29, 2011.

1. growl28 macrumors newbie

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. growl28 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Because unless your machine is shutting down under load (ostensibly due to overheating) you don't have a heat problem. There are plenty of threads about CPU temperatures in the Macbook Pro forum as well as numerous inquiries about cooling pads. They don't do anything for your machine.

5. superericla macrumors 6502

They only cool the computer's bottom case which doesn't really help with CPU or GPU heat since the vent is near where the display connects.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Buying a cooling pad would be like driving on ice instead of concrete. There's a possible benefit but if you have anti-freeze in the car and it's only 90 degrees outside, t doesn't really matter.

Just keep the MBP on a hard surface and you'll be fine. Unless you're running games in an 85+ degree room, you won't have any problems.

If you have to put it in your lap, get a hard backed book or a 3 ringed binder to set it on. The air leaves the laptop through the opening when you open the screen so if that's blocked, you might overheat.

7. spidey3 macrumors regular

I have to disagree on this. While CPU and GPU may be fine, there are other potential thermal problems. My wife's MacBook went through two disk drives in less than two years -- with both likely failed due to thermal stress, induced by the fact that she often works with the computer in her lap.

She now uses a simple stand which keeps the machine up off her lap [http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html] -- and since then no more disk failures, over the course of 3 years...

Spidey!!!