Mac Crashed, Help with Restore!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sammyman, Sep 19, 2012.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

My Mac Pro crashed a few days ago. We are working on getting the info off the computer and back to normal as soon as possible. We have a system like this:

SSD - Boot Drive (All programs and OSX)

Master RAID 0 - User info, Pictures and files

The Master RAID 0 with 2 drives crashed. Its permissions are unrepairable and I can't write to the disk at all. The problem is my user info and Library are all on that disk.

I purchased two new hard drives and would like to get that info off, but I can't. Time Machine wants to write to the damaged drives, and I can't have it write to the new ones either because the user account is on the damaged drives.

I have another emergency user account on the boot drive, but it can't see the time machine files for the RAID 0, I'm guessing because it is on another account.

Ideally, I would like to get all the info from about a week ago prior to the crash and restore it to the new drives. This is proving difficult though since my user account was there beforehand....

Right now I have the SSD, the damaged RAID 0 drives, and the two new RAID 0 drives in the machine....

Any suggestions?

BTW, I have backblaze, Time Machine, and a local backup (which appears to have stopped backing up about two months ago without me realizing). So I have some options, but this is my wife's business computer. Any pictures from these damaged hard drives that go missing will be the end of me. Please help!

2. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Here's a quick update. I'm trying to carbon copy the pictures folder from the damaged drives to the new ones. Not sure if it will work because of the permissions error.

What is kind of cool is that my user account was automatically recreated on the new drives because the system detected the old drives are damaged.

Hopefully I can just move the pictures and files over to the new drives and start with a fresh Library folder.