Mac crashed, installed again... now have "previous system"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 00bolt, Mar 30, 2009.

1. 00bolt macrumors member

I was ripping a DVD last night and also surfing web and a couple other things all at same time (have 4gb memory) and the macbook crashed and was just stuck. It stayed that way for a long time, so I held down the power button and turned it off. After that, I couldnt get it to book back up. It would just stay stuck at the grey screen with the spinning wheel.

So I got out my original DVD disk and reinstalled. I do not remember how it worded it, but I did the option where it kept my previous system information.

I now have Leopard installed again and I have a folder called "previous system" and I can view my old desktop files, applications, etc..

My question is this... how do I transfer it all over so Im back to how I was? The way it is now, Im very short on hard drive space... I am now going to setup and use time machine..

2. tripletaker macrumors member

Go into Previous System, and into your user folder and transfer everything from your User folder into your new user folder.

To clarify, go to Previous System > username > Music and drag everything there into your new Music folder. Do the same for the rest of your folders. After you are totally done, you can delete the Previous System folder. Or if you want just keep it. You might need stuff from your old library folder.

3. 00bolt thread starter macrumors member

after i transfer everything i want/need. is the previous system folder the only thing I need to delete? Or are there a bunch of other things taking up drive space? I was thinking that now that I have everything on my external hard drive as a backup now, do a new fresh format/install.

4. tripletaker macrumors member

Previous System is the only thing you have to delete. That folder should contain your previous Applications folder, Developer, Library, System, Users, and a lot of hidden files as well. If you don't need any of it anymore delete it. There's no need to do a fresh install. Unless you want to.