MAC Crazy: What do I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sarakn, Oct 24, 2013.

1. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Ok..I'm about to go crazy with the mac. I currently have a rarely used Dell XPS desktop and a overused Dell XPS laptop. The laptop is definitely getting replaced at I just purchased the Haswell 15" 2.6/16GB/1TB.

I travel a lot - weekly. And the one thing I'm tired of doing is coming home on Thursdays to unpack my laptop, plug it in, etc. I know this is crazy, but when you travel as much as me, this gets annoying. I have 2 of many things. :)

I know it's silly to drop 3K on another machine, but I was considering buying either a 13" Haswell OR a 15" Feb 2013 model.

I'm getting restless waiting for the new MBP. Also, using my current laptop at home is an option, but the annoying part is watching multimedia on it. Flash has a habit of rendering my laptop 100% useless. It freezes and I'm forces to restart. I've been so close to hurling the machine across the room just because of that.

2. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

3. iThink Apple macrumors 6502a

iThink Apple

Yes what are you asking for exactly....

4. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Asking if it's crazy buying 2 mbp - one for home and one for away. :)

I guess I'm asking you guys to talk me off the ledge and save my wallet.

5. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

If you're looking for a computer that stays at your house, buy an iMac. For a couple hundred dollars more you can get a 27" screen with 4GB GDDR5 memory, 32GB RAM, a 3TB fusion drive, and a 3.5GHz quad core i7 processor.

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I think that is definitely crazy. Besides the money spent, you'll have do upkeep on another machine.

Save your money.

7. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I'm still lost. What does "travel" mean? Do you go to the same place every week or just "travel" around in general?

If it's the former, then there's nothing wrong with keeping multiple "things" in each location. I keep multiple MagSafes at 3 different locations I frequent just so I don't have to drag it around. Granted, they don't cost $2500 each though. :eek:

8. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Sooooo...

Why buy a laptop if you don't plan on taking it with you? I don't understand why you would have one for "home" and one for "travel" when they're both portable.

That's like buying one car for commuting for work and another of the same car for the weekend. What's the point, other than spending twice as much and having twice the upkeep? :confused:

9. luminouslight macrumors 6502

luminouslight

Why not get a imac instead for home and the macbook for traveling if you absolutely need 2 computers. I don't see the need for 2 laptops. Plus with the imac you get a gorgeous 27" display and more power.

10. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Ok, let me explain. I'm a consultant and travel every week for work. My ritual is Sunday night, pack up laptop and leave town. Thursday night when I get home, unpack luggage and unpack laptop to use at home over the weekend.

An iMac is out of the question for now because I want something portable at home that does not restrict me to my desk. I tend to use my laptop more in the living, bedroom, kitchen. Rarely ever go into the home office - which is why my dell desktop is unused.

If I need a large display, I have a flat screen tv in almost every room and can easily connect MacBook to tv via hdmi. I do that currently with my laptop.

Yahooligan:
    It seems crazy, but I have double sets if many things. I guess when it comes to laptops, spending $2000 for another one is more than ridiculous.

11. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Is it really that hard to unpack the laptop? I'd just find a way to talk yourself out of it.

12. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Thanks - that's what I needed to hear. I've waited several months for rMBP and my apple fund grew to $7500 which is why I'm spending like it's Xmas. Maybe it's time to stop now - already got fully loaded 15", time capsule, will get ipad soon and just a few accessories.

----------

You already did - thanks. :D

13. Not That Future macrumors newbie

You're seriously considering buying two 3K+ laptops just because you don't feel like charing one when you get home?

I think you might want to seek psychological help, dude.

14. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

Buy a few extra power bricks so you have power near every location you sit down with your Mac.

Get an Apple TV so you can use Mavericks and it to let your TV be an additional monitor without having to plug in.

Buy an iPad for your casual browsing so you don't need to unpack the MacBook.

Or donate to the "get Alec a new Mac" fund... ;)

15. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Glad to hear it. I'm not done spending, either. Getting an iPad next month and there is still so much apps/media I will be buying.

Not to mention the most awesomest backpack ever that I will be receiving in a few months. I travel a lot, too.

16. Sybersport macrumors newbie

I'm a Consultant too and I know what you mean. It's a hassle, after a long flight and taxi ride home, to have to come in, unpack all your stuff, dig for the power brick, plug it in, run the chord, attach it to your lappy....

I'm not suggesting this is a huge deal (at least not to me), but I see the point.

Honestly though, one thing that really helped me? I got 3 power bricks for my MBP. One for my bag, one for my living room and one for my bedroom. So now all I need to do is just take the lappy with me, and my powerchord is there and ready to roll.

Just a thought...

17. Macalway macrumors 68020

Depends on your income. Simple as that.

Or not. Depends on your income minus your frugality.

18. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarakn

First, it's dudette. :) and I was not going to buy two 3k laptops, the home laptop would have been a feb 2013 - I would have saved a few bucks.

Listen, I hear you. :D

----------

I already bought an extra power adapter and getting an ipad next month. In my craziness, I tried to justify the new MacBook by thinking "hey, it comes with another power adapter." I know it's nuts, but the mind can lead you to dark places.

----------

At least, u know where I'm coming from. 8 years on the road and all you want is one less task. Thanks - I bought an extra power adapter - lot cheaper than a new laptop.

19. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

If you can afford, get a 12-core Mac Pro, 128GB RAM, dual GPUs, 1TB SSD with 2x Apple displays for using at home for the moments of delight. Keep a more modest 6-Core Mac Pro at work and the rMBP you just bought for mobile stuff.

I think this setup fits well your needs.

20. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Sounds like you need a better life / device balance as I suspect most on these sites do. I have been on my computer nearly all day for the past two days and I can not wait to get done with all this once-every-4-years compu-upgrade-crap.

I have been part of a annual think tank in the past three years that is addressing just what on earth do we do to get people off of these devices to strike a balance, to stop staring down at their phones and engage in eye contact instead of i-contact. The stats are pretty scary, people need to spend less time on these things period, it's totally out of control.

My 2KB...

21. Macalway macrumors 68020

22. sarakn thread starter macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Even if that cost $500, I would not use it. At this point, I don't care for anything hat confines me to a desk. Maybe in the future, my needs will change but right now I'm trying to downsize and keep things mobile.

I can see myself buying the display though - it just looks so pretty.

----------

I agree with you. But in a way, not getting a desktop gets me away from that mode. When i used my home office, some days I would be tied to be desk for hours non-stop. Having portable devices give me the flexibility to disengage while knowing the tools I need are close by.

I know it sounds contradictory, but it's easier if I have something should I need it than not have it at all.

Oddly enough, one device I doubt I'll get is an iPhone. I hardly have my ringer in my galaxy on and rarely check vm. If someone needs to reach me, email or text and I'll respond when I'm ready.