Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
At this point in the creative suite version, is there any major differences between the OSX version and the windows version.

I seem to recall that there were some differences in features or performance on the windows one vs. OSX. I'm not sure if that changed with CS5.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
One minor thing I noticed in CS4 was OSX had full trackpad integration. You could gesture you're way around quite nicely, Windows CS4 didn't. I wonder if CS5 adds full multitouch to Windows.
Or at least the earliest version on one of my universities MBP.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I read somewhere (some blog) that the Windows version was able to use more RAM. I can't find where I read that yet and I don't know if it's true.

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
I read somewhere (some blog) that the Windows version was able to use more RAM. I can't find where I read that yet and I don't know if it's true.

Photoshop CS4 for windows is a 64 bit app--it can access more RAM
the mac version was not 64 bit

with CS5, both versions are 64 bit

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
Photoshop CS4 for windows is a 64 bit app--it can access more RAM
the mac version was not 64 bit

with CS5, both versions are 64 bit

Correction - a few of the programs in the CS5 suite are 64bit on the mac version, Photoshop is one of them.

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
The pc version is faster.

Can you provide links to benchmarks?

I'm on the fence right now, but given reviews of tangential products like

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archive...eat_flash_surprising_results_of_new_tests.php

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/perlow/web-video-showdown-flash-vs-quicktime-vs-windows-media/13176

For other Adobe products, it's definitely faster on Windows... I never thought I'd say that...

I am somewhat inclined to agree with you at face value, but direct proof is far better. But I am only buying one version of CS5, so I will ultimately rely on one platform unless I can get CS5 the same way I have Lightroom in terms of licensing -- I have a PC laptop and a Mac desktop, which means I need two licenses - which is pretty sucky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.