Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrenchKiwi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2019
Oregon
I recently got my hand on a Mac Cube G4, but I cant find any similar ones, is this worth anything besides the typical $100 on ebay, it comes with the original box and black keyboard/mouse.
@MacTech68 Could you help?

Last edited:

MacTech68

macrumors 68020
Mar 16, 2008
Australia, Perth
Other than being a private customization, I'm not aware of any uniqueness.

Does it power on? Is there a display with it? Original Speakers?

Cubes in original box might normally fetch US$300 (including monitor).

However, I feel that having been painted black could diminish it's value somewhat.

FrenchKiwi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2019
Oregon
Other than being a private customization, I'm not aware of any uniqueness.

Does it power on? Is there a display with it? Original Speakers?

Cubes in original box might normally fetch US$300 (including monitor).

However, I feel that having been painted black could diminish it's value somewhat.
First off, thank you for the reply!! And no speakers with it or display but it does power on. I thought I was really on to something with the black color:(, but good to know

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
As MachTech68 correctly states, the value of this black Cube to a 'collector' would normally be diminished. On the other hand someone searching for an unusual modded G4 Cube may be prepared to pay a premium. Who knows?
There were many mods performed on G4 Cubes. One I recall dates from 2006 and installs a MacMini and transforms the casing black. The link which I bookmarked a few years ago is HERE.
I have three G4 Cubes, but would never 'butcher' a complete one in order to mod it, but do appreciate the hard work and ingenuity that some are capable of.
I shoe-horned a 2009 2.26GHz Intel Mac-mini into the case of one of mine without destroying any of the Cubes original parts. Needless to say it looks original from the outside, and obviously the performance is transformed. PPC forum link HERE.
If ever required I could easily remove the mod and resell as an original Cube to a collector.

Reactions: MacTech68

Wouter3

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Netherlands
As MachTech68 correctly states, the value of this black Cube to a 'collector' would normally be diminished. On the other hand someone searching for an unusual modded G4 Cube may be prepared to pay a premium. Who knows?
There were many mods performed on G4 Cubes. One I recall dates from 2006 and installs a MacMini and transforms the casing black. The link which I bookmarked a few years ago is HERE.
I have three G4 Cubes, but would never 'butcher' a complete one in order to mod it, but do appreciate the hard work and ingenuity that some are capable of.
I shoe-horned a 2009 2.26GHz Intel Mac-mini into the case of one of mine without destroying any of the Cubes original parts. Needless to say it looks original from the outside, and obviously the performance is transformed. PPC forum link HERE.
If ever required I could easily remove the mod and resell as an original Cube to a collector.
CooperBox, would you have an original Cube Logic board available as mine probably blew up.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
CooperBox, would you have an original Cube Logic board available as mine probably blew up.
Hi, just checked and unfortunately don't have a guaranteed functional logic board available at the moment. My Intel 'Mac Mini' Cube has the original inner-module removed and currently held as a spare. I re-installed this to another Cube case and powered up, and all was ok until it emmited an unpleasant burning smell. I immediately powered off, and it subsequently failed to boot. With the inner module removed I couldn't see anything obviously wrong, but will have to tear-down to investigate further. Possibly the DC-DC board, but can't rule out the logic board. I'll let you know in due course.
I occasionally see functional G4 Cubes as low as 150euros (currently US$170). I'd be tempted for the spares at that price but it's not local to me, and these Cubes can be fragile to mail.

Wouter3

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Netherlands
Hi, just checked and unfortunately don't have a guaranteed functional logic board available at the moment. My Intel 'Mac Mini' Cube has the original inner-module removed and currently held as a spare. I re-installed this to another Cube case and powered up, and all was ok until it emmited an unpleasant burning smell. I immediately powered off, and it subsequently failed to boot. With the inner module removed I couldn't see anything obviously wrong, but will have to tear-down to investigate further. Possibly the DC-DC board, but can't rule out the logic board. I'll let you know in due course.
I occasionally see functional G4 Cubes as low as 150euros (currently US$170). I'd be tempted for the spares at that price but it's not local to me, and these Cubes can be fragile to mail.
I had the same with my Cube. A MOSFET on the VRM got very hot and finally blew up. I installed a new VRM, but it still doesn't boot. I also can not see anything obviously wrong with the logic board. I replaced the new 1 GHz processor daughter board with the original 450 MHz CPU board, but again no booting up. I was wondering whether it could be the little board behind the on/off button. In any event, buying a Cube from the US is rather expensive for me in NL with the high transport costs and the import duties, and indeed the risk of damage. I appreciate your efforts of looking into it.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I had the same with my Cube. A MOSFET on the VRM got very hot and finally blew up. I installed a new VRM, but it still doesn't boot. I also can not see anything obviously wrong with the logic board. I replaced the new 1 GHz processor daughter board with the original 450 MHz CPU board, but again no booting up. I was wondering whether it could be the little board behind the on/off button. In any event, buying a Cube from the US is rather expensive for me in NL with the high transport costs and the import duties, and indeed the risk of damage. I appreciate your efforts of looking into it.
The 150euro Cube I was referring to is being sold in France, so transport costs would not be high - assuming the seller would ship, and within the EU (France/NL) you'd pay no import duties. The seller includes original power-pack, (often over 100e alone), original keyboard & mouse, 15" Apple display, and Hercules Muses USB 'box' which I understand would allow connecting an audio system.

Wouter3

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2017
Netherlands
The 150euro Cube I was referring to is being sold in France, so transport costs would not be high - assuming the seller would ship, and within the EU (France/NL) you'd pay no import duties. The seller includes original power-pack, (often over 100e alone), original keyboard & mouse, 15" Apple display, and Hercules Muses USB 'box' which I understand would allow connecting an audio system.
Is this on ebay. I cannot find it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.