Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

claesjanwolff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Have seen a thread or 2 b4, but I am new to this forum

My G4 cube 450 MHz, 1 Gb ram, macOS 10.4 shuts down randomly at irregular intervals, no demanding apps running or other special ops

Have read that dust could be a problable cause for overheating and shutdown
Having opened the cube, no visible dust was detected, but then I found this wire (see pict)
Should that be connected to something?

Hope you forum guys can assist in solving this

Btw where can I upload pics?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
When posting a response here, in the lower right hand corner of the text field, there are three blue buttons. Click the middle "upload file" button to attach a photo.

Good luck.

Last edited:

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
There is a known problem with these having an "overactive" power button, which as you probably know is capacitive. I seem to recall the fix being an application of a piece of scotch tape directly over the top of the button(on the "core", not on top of the case). You might give that a try.

Reactions: claesjanwolff

claesjanwolff

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2017
Have seen a thread or 2 b4, but I am new to
There is a known problem with these having an "overactive" power button, which as you probably know is capacitive. I seem to recall the fix being an application of a piece of scotch tape directly over the top of the button(on the "core", not on top of the case). You might give that a try.

Thanks for the swift reply, Do you mean (grey) duct tape or transparent packaging tape?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thanks for the swift reply, Do you mean (grey) duct tape or transparent packaging tape?
He means Scotch tape - or any generic equivalent.

4034256655_321ec72418_o.png

Reactions: claesjanwolff
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.