Mac dead, need to format my usb key on windows

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacAodh, Apr 14, 2010.

1. MacAodh macrumors regular

Okay,
    Long story short my mb won't turn on and the only way i can get my files off is to install linux onto a usb key. (I should have backed up but didn't and now need to get the files off before i do a restart).

I can't get my usb key to show up on my friends windows laptop. It comes up in computer manager but not on the explorer and the format button in computer manager is shadded.

Any thoughts???? Kind of an urgent one please...

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

In Computer Manager, you should be able to right-click and Initialize.

3. MacAodh thread starter macrumors regular

It comes up in three sections. first is healthy 200mb efi partitioned. Second is 3.43gb healthy primary partition and the thrid is 128mb unallocated. if i right click on any of these i can get into help in the first (rest are shaded), Delete volume and help on second (deleting brings up an error) and properties and help on the third (properties gives nothing usefull). If i click on the disk 1 thing on the left, i get Change drive letter and paths, eject, properties and help. Change drive letter and paths also brings up an error message which prompts me to refresh the thingy but when i do it still says it...