Mac Decisions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by skubish, Jul 7, 2005.

  1. skubish macrumors 68030


    Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    So I finally saved enough money now to pull the trigger on a new Mac. Now I can't decide which one. I am torn between 3 models

    12" PB
    • 512MB DDR333 (256MB built-in + 256MB SO-DIMM)
    • 80GB Ultra ATA drive @ 5400rpm
    • 8x SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    • 1.5GHz PowerPC G4
    • NVIDIA GeForce FX GO 5200 with 64MB DDR Video Memory
    • 12.1-inch TFT Display
    Subtotal $1,499.00

    12" iBook
    • 256MB DDR266 SDRAM (built-in)
    • 60GB Ultra ATA drive
    • Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • Keyboard & Mac OS X - U.S. English
    • 12-inch TFT XGA display
    • 1.2GHz PowerPC G4
    • ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory
    • 512 MB RAM stick (third party $50)
    Subtotal $1,066.00

    17" iMac G5
    • 512MB DDR400 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
    • 160GB Serial ATA drive
    • SuperDrive (DVD+R DL/DVD+RW/CD-RW)
    • Keyboard and Mouse + Mac OS X - U.S. English
    • 56Kbps Modem
    • 17-inch widescreen LCD
    • 2GHz PowerPC G5
    • ATI Radeon 9600 with 128MB DDR Video Memory
    • AirPort Extreme
    • Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR
    Subtotal $1,399.00

    This will be my first Mac. I can't decide if I should get the cheaper iBook just to sample OS X until the new intel Macs appear. Or should I go for the PB or iMac to take advantage of Core Image and a Superdrive? Mostly I use my Mac for internet, MS Office, iLife apps. They only game I am playing right now is WoW (how does that run on an iBook?)

    I am leaning toward the PB because I would like the portability, Superdrive, and I have an external monitor.
  2. dadio2002 macrumors regular


    Jul 1, 2005
    London, Ontario
    I personally would go with the 12 powerbook

    You can take it anywhere, has the power to do alot and later you could get an awsome display for it.
  3. milozauckerman macrumors 6502

    Jun 25, 2005
    You should also think about getting AppleCare for any of these products, esp. the notebooks. It seems to almost be worth the cost in resale value alone (much less having the screen go wonky at 2 years or something).
  4. Billicus macrumors 6502a


    Apr 3, 2002
    Charles City, Iowa
    If you don't care about portability, the iMac is the best bargain for the price. Between the two portables, you would be happy with either - so it comes down to which style you prefer and what features you need. If you don't forsee a usage for the high-end features of a PB, go with an iBook and maybe wait for a Mactel in a couple of years to upgrade. :)
  5. noel4r macrumors 6502a

    Jul 17, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If you want to just sample OS X and wait for the Intel machines later, why not the mac mini?
  6. dmw007 macrumors G4


    May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I would go with the iMac G5 unless you need portability. Then I would go with the PowerBook G4.
  7. idea_hamster macrumors 65816


    Jul 11, 2003
    NYC, or thereabouts
    Of those three, I find the 12" PowerBook the most compelling.

    I don't know about you, but my TiBook goes everywhere with me -- six countries on three continents (soon to be eight on four).

    While a powerful desktop would be great, I need compact. That 12-incher is great. If only it had FW800 and gigabit ethernet.... :rolleyes:
  8. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601


    May 29, 2005
    Nothings ever good enough.
  9. Mood macrumors regular


    Jun 29, 2005

    Negrodamus says that his 17 incher is glorious and majuscule.
  10. iGary Guest


    May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
  11. Mood macrumors regular


    Jun 29, 2005
    iGary who is that guy in your avatar thingy (the guy holding the apple)

    i think i've seen him in some commercial before for apple.
  12. skubish thread starter macrumors 68030


    Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Isaac Newton :)
  13. skubish thread starter macrumors 68030


    Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    The concern I have with the Mini is all the upgrades I would need to do. Extras I would need to get.

    • 256MB DDR333 SDRAM - 1 DIMM
    • 80GB Ultra ATA drive
    • Combo Drive
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • Wired Keyboard & Mouse Set - U.S. English
    • 56K v.92 Modem
    • Mac OS X - U.S. English
    • 1.42GHz PowerPC G4
    • 512MB Ram Stick $50

    Subtotal $752.00

    The EDU discount is higher on the iBook, PB, and iMac than it is for the Mini. Plus I can get a free iPod Mini with these Macs whereas the Mini doesn't qualify. I plan on selling the iPod Mini so if I bought the iBook + iPod it works out to be only ~$150 more than the Mini. That is why I ruled out the Mini.
  14. Plastic Avatar macrumors member

    Jan 26, 2004
    West Virginia

    Negrodamus is right!

    You just can't find a better deal than all those magnificent inches.

    Now step back before he hits you with it.


Share This Page