Mac Defrag ....

SandersHokie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2006
what is a good macintosh defrag program? I was at the Apple store today and was going to up my PowerBook from 1.5 ghz to 2.0 ghz. Said it'd cost me $300! So I just said screw it.

Is it worth going from 1.5 ghz to 2.0 ghz? Also, are there any cheaper ways of upgrading if I wanted too?

Also, what is a good defrag program for Macintosh?

Thanks!

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
SandersHokie said:
what is a good macintosh defrag program? I was at the Apple store today and was going to up my PowerBook from 1.5 ghz to 2.0 ghz. Said it'd cost me $300! So I just said screw it.

Is it worth going from 1.5 ghz to 2.0 ghz? Also, are there any cheaper ways of upgrading if I wanted too?

Also, what is a good defrag program for Macintosh?

Thanks!
not worth that money, 1.5 is fine

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
generik said:
Macs no need defrag! :D
sometimes you do need to defrag.
If you think you might need to defragment

Try restarting first. It might help, and it's easy to do.

If your disks are almost full, and you often modify or create large files (such as editing video, but see the Tip below if you use iMovie and Mac OS X 10.3), there's a chance the disks could be fragmented. In this case, you might benefit from defragmentation, which can be performed with some third-party disk utilities.

Another option is to back up your important files, erase the hard disk, then reinstall Mac OS X and your backed up files.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25668

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Yeah, for all intents and purposes, you really don't need to worry about defragging in OS X. Just another great thing that separates us from Windows users! :D ) :cool: