Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flitcher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2004
I got a Dell pocket DJ to use Yahoo's unlimited service (i'm using my roommates windows for this). Anyway, how can I get Tiger to recognize the DJ when I plug it in? I downloaded a program called XNJB, and it worked at first, that is until I had to upgrade the DJ's firmware inorder to work with yahoo unlimited.

Secondly, besides VirtualPC, is there some other program that will let me run single windows applications, without having to install the windows environment? I heard of opendarwin, but will that work? Basically, all i want to be able to do is run Yahoo's unlimited software on my Mac, or is this too farfetched? :(

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
flitcher said:
I heard of opendarwin, but will that work? Basically, all i want to be able to do is run Yahoo's unlimited software on my Mac, or is this too farfetched? :(
Opendarwin's not gonna happen until the Intel Macs start shipping next year.

VPC is the only thing I can recommend right now.
If you use VPC I would recommend win2000, its pretty fast and lean compared to winxp...

Not to suggest, but if I were you, I'd just sell it and get a nano... but thats just me... its a shame other stores don't come out for the mac, but its only because microsoft doesn't support DRM-protected windows media on anything but windows...

flitcher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2004
kingjr3 said:
I would guess this has something to do with it. :rolleyes:

Oh.. no really? jeeze i had no freaking idea. why even post dude?

Fukui, thank you for your comments. I would get the nano but like you said, its not compatible with Yahoo's service. Do you know of any program that would allow the Dell DJ to show up on my computer? thanks.

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
flitcher said:

probably because its true, that crap doesnt play nice, why **** about with that crap? just get a nano or something, im sure there is some sucker out there that wants a dellpod thing

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
flitcher said:

If you already knew, why post dude? :rolleyes:

You best option is get a cheap PC and use that for you music or get yourself an iPod and enjoy your mac...

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
flitcher said:
Basically, all i want to be able to do is run Yahoo's unlimited software on my Mac, or is this too farfetched? :(

Oh and yes...I think the System Requirements says is all...

* Microsoft Windows XP or 2000
* Internet Explorer 6.0+
* Windows Media Player 9.0 or higher
* Pentium III 300 MHz processor
* 128MB RAM
* Broadband connection for streaming and buying music
* Latest Windows Service Packs

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
kingjr3 said:

* Internet Explorer 6.0+
* 128MB RAM

Not just the Yahoo music unlimited but Napster or any of that Microsoft DRM stuff isn't going to work with mac period. I'm pretty sure Microsoft doesn't even make a windows media player that supports this DRM stuff on mac...maybe if your buying individual songs like iTunes, but none of the subscription stuff. As somebody said before...just buy a windows pc, or use virtual pc, that's the only two options you have.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
what it comes down to is that those units wont work with your Mac.

I didnt want to buy the iPod Mini. Sony had a 20GB unit that I really wanted. BUT, I also had all my music organized via iTunes and I wasnt sure what software sony's unit would come with. So, I ended up going with the iPod Mini.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
kingjr3 said:

* Internet Explorer 6.0+
* 128MB RAM

Those requirements are pretty low, so it should run under Virtual PC. However, I don't know whether VPC will be able to access the Dell hardware.

Can you import your Yahoo music into iTunes and synch with the Dell?

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Nermal said:
Those requirements are pretty low, so it should run under Virtual PC. However, I don't know whether VPC will be able to access the Dell hardware.
It should, it just connects through USB.

I don't know where to find something to recognize your dell with your iTunes, but maybe a solution is just a google away...

If you already go VPC, just use it, I think thats the approach with lowest 'friction' if you wanna use Yahoo.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Do music players use some sort of standard interface, or are they all different? Can iTunes still connect to third-party players or did they remove that support when the iPod came out?

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Nermal said:
Do music players use some sort of standard interface, or are they all different? Can iTunes still connect to third-party players or did they remove that support when the iPod came out?
I think there may be, but most don't use it.

rdhazrd

macrumors newbie
Nermal said:

iTunes didn't have that featuren until the iPod was released. I can still use a 64MB Rio with iTunes, but then again it won't play AAC files only MP3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.