Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Every year or two, MacRumors videographer Dan Barbera shares a desk tour featuring the Mac-centric products that he uses to record and edit his videos for the site. Today, Dan is sharing an updated 2024 desk video, highlighting desk accessories that might be worth checking out for your own setup.

• Uplift Desk - Dan uses an Uplift Standing desk, priced starting at $569. Uplift makes all kinds of accessories for its desks, from drawers to hammocks. Dan has a motion board for increasing movement, microphone arm, and headphone holder.
  • Alti Wireless Charging Desk Mat - The $130 Alti Wireless Charging Desk Mat has a built-in Qi wireless charger that works with the iPhone and AirPods, plus it has a hideaway space for documents.
  • Gather Monitor Stand - Gather has a selection of Monitor Stands that raise up a display and also offer handy storage for a MacBook. Pricing starts at around $269, and there are add-on accessories for an additional fee.
  • Iodyne Pro Data - This one is for video editors and those who need a lot of storage that's well-protected. The 12TB Pro Data from Iodyne is priced at $4,450 and goes up from there.
  • Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse - There are a lot of options for peripherals, but Apple's Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse are classics.
  • Nomad Stand One Max - For charging the iPhone and Apple Watch, Nomad's Stand One Max delivers quick charging speeds and aesthetics. It's not cheap at $180, though.
  • Lab22 Headphone Stand - For over-ear headphones like the AirPods Max, the $85 Lab22 Headphone Stand keeps them up and out of the way when not in use.
What are your favorite desk accessories for your Mac setup? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: Mac Desk Accessories Worth Checking Out

Reactions: Hairball

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Magic Mouse as a proposition? That’s brave!

It’s a pretty good mouse IMO. I find I really miss the Magic Mouse’s touch surface when I’m using other mice.

The lightning port location is admittedly an interesting design choice, but it’s overblown because the battery lasts for months and you need to charge it so rarely anyway.

It’s not a good mouse for gaming, though.

I will definitely buy the next version when they come out with USB-C!

jacobweber

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2003
das.gif
Sorry, but those are not desk accessories. THESE are desk accessories.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
With Lightning port going extinct, I can see Apple going hard with USB-C. imagine a MX mouse built with Apple aesthetic with the USB-C port in the rear.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018

IMHO way better than the "magic" offerings.

@Dan Barbera I love 2 screens (27" 1440 Dells), will never go back to a single. I would like to try an ultra-wide but just can't bring myself to buy one in case I hate it, I would prefer to work with one for a couple weeks first.

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Alti Wireless Charging Desk Mat - The $130 Alti Wireless Charging Desk Mat has a built-in Qi wireless charger that works with the iPhone and AirPods, plus it has a hideaway space for documents.

Nomad Stand One Max - For charging the iPhone and Apple Watch, Nomad's Stand One Max delivers quick charging speeds and aesthetics. It's not cheap at $180, though.
how many iPhones do you have to charge? a mat for iphone/AirPods? a stand for iPhone/AW?
I mean, for me, that would be overkill, but, to each their own ...

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021

I might get one when I'm old and grey and they finally update it to USB-C. I miss the touchpad gestures when using a mouse.

Side note, I really wish Apple would get it together and make scrolling motion independent for touchpad and mouse.

I get the impression Apple just hates mice for some reason. The one button mouse, the hockey puck, the dead-on-its-back-to-charge Magic Mouse (which seems to have been abandoned), etc.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
how many iPhones do you have to charge? a mat for iphone/AirPods? a stand for iPhone/AW?
I mean, for me, that would be overkill, but, to each their own ...

It looks like the Nomad is a 3-in-1 MagSafe charger, whereas the ATL is a 2-in-1. I agree. Most have 1 iPhone to Airpods or AW. I guess it's more convenience.

Personally, I like the Charging matt.

iPay

macrumors regular
May 25, 2023
Wireless charging for the Magic Mouse could be a thing. Unfortunately, the summer intern who designed the thing was found missing after two months. Since then, noone dare touch the MM by fear of the DeadBug Curse.

Last edited:

Unity451

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2011
California
I've used one monitor for years, but I utilize the spaces function so that I always have at least 4 desktops that I can rotate through for different things. Only occasionally do I wish that I had a second monitor for certain projects, but it never justifies the need for the extra space on the desk.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I love my Uplift desk! I got the commercial version which is more stable, and the “industrial” color is the way to go if you want it t to being some warmth along with a nice wooden top. I made my own solid walnut top for it though because I have a workshop and it only cost me a couple hundred bucks vs. $900 from uplift.

I finished the rest of my basement in 2018 to build a studio but I wanted a space upstairs by a window so I can get some daylight and fresh air through the windows. I just disconnect the one cord from my TB dock and bring my MBP upstairs anytime I want a standing break in the sun.

Here are some photos from when I built it last month:

Attachments

• IMG_4501.jpeg
    IMG_4501.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_4512.jpeg
    IMG_4512.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 33

TimB21

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
Have two monitors at home, only one at work and I miss the second one but if I bought one it'd overwhelm my office and people's attention. :)

Reactions: CVUSA

stereoscott

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2009
I’d recommend the Benks Headphone Stand as it has a curve that matches the AirPods Max headband. Also, I prefer the Benks 3-in-1 stand as it allows you to have your phone in portrait mode and hide the watch charger (seldom used) flat. It’s not a super fast charger and doesn’t come with the power brick but I find when charging at a desk you don’t need super fast charging anyway.

One thing that isn’t covered here is lighting. IKEA has a cool cheap clear led globe bulb (“MOLNART”) that I paired with a “HÅRSLINGA” floor lamp and it provides a great warm vibe.

Reactions: Agile55

atomx66

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2015
Los Angeles
Regarding the standing desk, I'd opt for the Flexispot E7 Plus. It's about the same price, but it has four legs and is extremely stable--there is minimal wobble, even when raised 5+ feet. It can also hold up to 540 lbs, so it's rock-solid.
Flexispot E7 Plus

Reactions: GrayFlannel
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.