mac dev program worth it? post ML?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by thomaskc, Jul 4, 2012.

1. thomaskc macrumors 6502

Hi everyone,

I have a questions I'd like people opinion on.

Firstly I know the the mac developer program costs $99/year which should be around $8/mth and that is just how it is.

Now I know that not everyone enrolling in this program actually develops apps for OSX, but rather just enjoy the access to the alpha/beta builds of what ever apple is making.

Now it is very debatable whether it would be worth it to get ML legit, easy and all that (seeing that it will be released this month), how ever! since this programs runs for 1 year.... is there any expectations on whats to come after ML's release in terms of dev program? what other things does apple release there for people to test? how fast do they start fiddling (publicly) with the OSX version after ML?

Anyone know or? I'm coming from Windows and just got my first Macbook so trying to figure out how the behind the scenes world of Apple works :) thanks

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its worth it if you are a developer, and need the tools, services that program offers. I don't see spending 99 dollars for the developer program (and not being a dev) when apple will charge 20 dollars for the OS.

In other words why spend 99 dollars to get Mountain Lion when Apple will be charging you 20 dollars. Makes even less sense to spend 99 dollars after ML is released and you're not a dev

3. Puevlo macrumors 6502a

Yes but for $99 you get Mountain Lion for free. Whereas otherwise you have to pay for it. So essentially it pays for itself.

4. PBP macrumors 6502

PBP

If you pay 99dollar for only early access to Mountain Lion its not free.. :rolleyes:. You pay 99dollar.. if you wait 3weeks you can get a final version for 20dollar in the Mac Appstore. Its not worth it. Or download the GM this week if you dont wanna wait :eek:

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, so you spend 99 dollars for a 20 dollar operating system. That doesn't seem to make too much sense to me

6. chevalier433 macrumors 6502a

chevalier433

With so many post here as Mountain Lion is the new Snow Leopard and gonna bring snappiness back to their machines that lost due to evil bad written Lion what you expect:D

7. thomaskc thread starter macrumors 6502

Hehe good points guys!

I did end up installing mountain lion dp4 and so far after updating it, it seems slightly snappier overall. Haven't had time to test performance but cant really get worse than lion...

8. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

As others have said, it seems silly to buy a dev account just for ML. You lose about $80.

9. pward macrumors member

It varies; as a bit of history, Lion was previewed in October 2010, but the first developer preview wasn't until February 2011 with an official release in July 2011.

Mountain Lion came out of left field somewhat, with nothing before a developer preview in February 2012 and a promised release this month.

Apple also releases early versions of Safari for developers and obviously Xcode but that's about it.

As for the future, only Apple knows their plans...

10. bobbba macrumors regular

Safari beta's are free so that' not a perk. It would include iOS betas tho.

11. Bobby.e macrumors 6502

iOS has their it's own $99 price tag.