Mac Developer Home Set up

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by rawd, Jan 11, 2011.

1. rawd macrumors regular

Hi all,

I am looking at setting up a home office and wanted some input regarding all things Mac. My developer set up will include a 27" Cinema connected to a MBP for possible portability.

My question is regarding keyboard and mice. What external kb and mice are you guys using for extended periods of time. Are the Apple keyboard comfortable and practical enough to use for everyday code crunching use? Should I be looking at 3rd party hardware for this

Thanks

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's a pretty personal preference, so YMMV.

I end up using the internal KB in the MBP/MB more often than not, but also like the feel of the Apple Aluminum keyboards. My favorite pointing device other than the built in magic trackpad is a Logitech TrackMan+.

B

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

An advantage of the Apple keyboard is that it has the same feel and layout as the MBP, so if you like that then it is an easy transition.

Keyboards are a personal preference, though. I find that I type fastest and with the most accuracy with a keyboard that has tactile feedback, so I use 20 year old Northgate Omnikey keyboards on my home iMac and work PC. The closest new keyboard to this, and one designed for Macs, is the Matias Tactile Pro, http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Matias/FK302/

The Magic Mouse is the only Apple mouse I've ever liked, and it share the same multi-touch gesture capability as the trackpad in the MBP. Of course there is also the new trackpad, that I haven't tried. Augment with BetterTouchTool.

4. rawd, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2011

rawd thread starter macrumors regular

I've read about this keyboard but I'm wondering if the clacking would drive me nuts and others too especially during conference call/training sessions over speakerphone.

The Magicpad is great as I've used it in the store. My only concern there was selecting code and copy/pasting it quickly. Basically mimicking a left-click, drag to select text, then copy/paste.

Thanks for everyone's input on this!

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Don't you use the keyboard for that :p

(Sorry, years of emacs/vi take their toll, but especially with code I find it much easier and more precise to move the cursor to one end of the selection area, hold shift, move the cursor to the other end, Command/Ctrl C, move cursor, Command/Ctrl V. It's rare that I reach for the mouse/trackpad when writing code.)

B

6. willieva macrumors 6502

The magic mouse is very nice for programming with. Cutting and pasting behaves the same as a regular mouse, and you get the benefit of being able to swipe for scrolling. The best of both worlds.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I love the Apple keyboard and spend 10+ hours a day typing on it. I did get a USB one though because I find the extra keys / keypad useful.
    On the mouse side, I use a Magic Mouse and find it absolutely the best mouse I've ever used. I really need to get some rechargeables for it though as it eats batteries at a rapid rate

8. rawd thread starter macrumors regular

LOL no worries. I'm the opposite on that one. I'm all mouse when it comes to that. Left click, drag area, right click, copy, right click, paste. What's a keyboard :)

The few times I've only used the Magic Mouse at the store or at a friends, the weight of it really bothers me. Probably years of using Logitech mice I suppose.

9. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Another reason I like using my old Northgate keyboards -- Escape key is closer, being next to 1/! and the Control key is to the left of the A which makes control characters easier. Mine are so old that they don't have "Windows" keys, but I assign the Caps Lock (in the same location) to Command on the Mac. Luckily a Windows key isn't necessary for Windows.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's not that bad on the Magic Trackpad. You just have to get used to the multi-touch gestures.

Single finger to position, click with thumb and hold, use other finger to select region, remove both fingers, two finger click, Copy, single finger position, two finger click, Paste.

The trick for me on the touchpads is using the thumb to click and hold.

B

11. lee1210 macrumors 68040

lee1210

I think that harkens back to what balamw said in the first reply. This is very personal. You've provided a rebuttal to many of the suggestions. People can continue to offer up what they like typing on and mousing with, but it's not really applicable to you. They might love tactile feedback and it doesn't matter at all to you. They might think the weight of a mouse is perfect, you might think it's rubbish.

I type all day on a MBP keyboard and use the touchpad. I get the same typing/mousing experience whether i'm hooked up to an external monitor at the office or if i'm using the machine on the go. Is this good for you? Probably not. What is the best input experience you've had so far in your life? Use that if you can. If you can't, start your search by looking for things similar to those but with (say) a modern connector if that's why you can't use it.

-Lee

12. rawd thread starter macrumors regular

Definitely. I was just curious as to what others were using to get an idea of what is out there and what is being used.

I am leaning towards the wired Apple keyboard with numeric, with a Logitech mouse. I have a few weeks before I need to complete the purchase so I'm open to alternatives.

13. hubrisForAll macrumors newbie

Logitech FTW

Hey - I recently started using external Mouse and Keyboard:

Keyboard: Logitech K800 - wireless, backlit, rechargeable via USB with actual batteries that can be replaced. Amazing battery life and just cool looking

Mouse: Logitech Anywhere MX Mouse. Great feel and works with same nano receiver as the keyboard. As far as I can tell, the batteries dont die. Ever. And the mouse works on basically any surface.

14. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

I use a Kinesis Advantage keyboard in an attempt to save my hands from RSI. Nice keyboard, takes a lot of getting used to though.

15. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

I love the Apple aluminium keyboard. Because the keys are so flat I can type extremely fast without ever really lifting my fingers. They just kind of glide across the surface of the keys applying gentle pressure when necessary :).

As for the mouse I use a £10 Microsoft optical mouse which must be 6+ years old by now. I'm not fussy (and I even play FPS games :)).