Mac Developers Reminded to Have Their Apps Notarized as Apple Tightens Security

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 4, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today reminded Mac developers that it is encouraging them to have their apps notarized, meaning that the apps have been scanned by Apple and checked for malware and other security issues.

[​IMG]

Notarization is not currently a requirement for apps distributed outside of the Mac App Store, but Apple says it will "more prominently highlight notarization status" starting in the spring of 2019. And in an unspecified "upcoming macOS release," Apple will require any Developer ID-signed apps to be notarized.
    Apple introduced the notarization process for macOS Mojave back in June at WWDC, providing an extra level of confidence for users that apps are free of malware while also giving Apple finer-grained controls to shut down specific problematic releases instead of having to revoke an entire Developer ID.

Apple has stressed that notarization is not a full app review process and is only intended to analyze apps for security purposes.

Article Link: Mac Developers Reminded to Have Their Apps Notarized as Apple Tightens Security

2. Robert.Walter macrumors 65816

Apple might considering requiring all app developers for Mac who have an iOS app to release their Mac apps only via the Mac App Store.

This doesn’t solve the case for developers without an iOS app but it would provide a big lever for those that do if they want continued access to the iOS store. And there are many developers with both iOS and Mac versions of their apps.

Note, this doesn’t mean a developer couldn’t offer the same app outside of the Mac App Store, the could do both, but why would they want to? And why would a Mac user want/need something from outside the store when they could get it direct they Apple?

3. Red Menace macrumors 6502

Red Menace

A better question would be why should a Mac developer have to put up with the App Store?

4. brenton289 macrumors newbie

And why should consumers have to put up with the App Store, and Apple controlling and tracking what the applications they use?

5. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Why doesn’t Apple protect less savvy users from installing MacKeeper. The OS literally needs built in protection from apps like this. And ftp clients like FileZilla shouldn’t be able to make so many changes without user permission. And Chrome shouldn’t be able to deactivate the cmd+Q shortcut. These sort of common sense practical user protections I would like to see.

6. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

Get an iPad and be done with it. The rest of us have real work to get done.

7. jinnj macrumors regular

They don't! More than 1/2 of my apps are not from the App Store. Many run with no alerts.

8. rcooked macrumors regular

You don’t have too. Can always use Android.

9. NMBob macrumors 6502a

At least this way there won't be things like $90 apps that promise to monitor your heart, or whatever. Oh, wrong Apple platform.

10. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

A lot of excellent apps many people use are not available in the MAS.

I prefer to use the MAS. However, if there is anapp outside of the MAS that fits my needs better than what MAS sells, (if at all) I will buy outside the MAS, provided my re-purchase research is acceptable.

I appreciate that Apple is trying to protect its users.

11. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Many Mac applications cannot be put on the Appstore due to Apple's requirements, such as sandboxing etc. The majority of applications that I ( and many others ) use on a daily basis for work would fit into that category.

Last few companies I've worked at would have no choice but to dump Macs and switch to Linux. That would be a real shame.

I much prefer to buy outside of the AppStore for good reasons: A few apps I've used have more capabilities than the Mac AppStore version.... why would I want a crippled Mac AppStore version at the same price as the full version? Additionally, I would not be able to use these Mac AppStore apps at work.

12. jtara, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018

jtara macrumors 65816

They don't.

There is nothing stopping developers from selling MacOS apps outside of the App Store. It's the developer's choice.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 4, 2018 ---
    They don't either.

People, stop making up non-existing problems.

The App Store is an optional market that developers can freely take or leave.

----
    "notarization" is an unfortunate, and confusing name. In the U.S. at least, that word refers to having a signed document witnessed and attested by a government-enrolled agent (a Notary Public) who witnesses signatures for a small fee. I've *never* seen the word used in a different context before.

My mother was a Notary Public. I used to play with the embosser when I was a little kid. Shhhhhhh! ;) (Imagine Bart Simpson let loose with a Notary embosser! I didn't do any of the evil things he'd do with it - just stamp random blank sheets of paper.)

Can't techies stop overlaying the common usage of words with their own specialized meanings?

13. aaronhead14 macrumors 6502a

aaronhead14

I still can't decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing... Sure, it helps with security. But I also HATE the idea of Apple controlling literally everything that users are able to install on their computers. I don't think it's Apple's business to control that.

14. jtara macrumors 65816

Read My Lips. They aren't. It is optional.

I prefer to use the App Store for apps that don't need super cow powers. When purchasing outside of the store, I am more cautious about vetting the app and company.

15. badatusernames macrumors member

badatusernames

Apple isn't controlling what users can install their Macs.

16. robbyx macrumors 65816

Well I’d get used to it because that’s where we’re headed. Ten years from, whatever “macOS” is, it will be as locked down as iOS. MacOS releases have been moving us in that direction for a while now.

17. badatusernames macrumors member

badatusernames

I see no real benefit for Apple doing that.

18. WoodpeckerBaby macrumors regular

WoodpeckerBaby

So you want to vet the trusted developers and let the jungle ones run wild? At the same time piss off the trusted iOS developers because Apple will force them to surrender 30% on macOS too? What were you thinking? To win the battle and lose the war??

19. HiVolt macrumors 6502

HiVolt

By default you can't install anything that's not Mac App Store or dev-signed. You have to google how to disable gatekeeper in terminal.

That's not control? A less savvy user is pretty much forced to buy crap from App Store.

20. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

You don't even have to do that.

Just right click on the application in the Finder and then Open. A dialog will appear and you will have to confirm, then the app will launch. The system will even validate the app so that if it is modified, it will no longer launch unless you right-click-open again.

That's it. No terminal voodoo, no having to change settings. Apple knows that a lot of power users and developers use Macs and neither group (there's a lot of overlap too) wants to be told what they can run on their machines.

21. Superhai macrumors 6502

Superhai

I have never disabled gatekeeper but still install whatever I want. Apple does even provide instructions on how to do it:

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25088

I am also realistic enough to realise that one of the major issues in IT today is security and it must be resolved.

22. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

I also love it (/sarcasm) when websites think it's a good idea to steal keyboard shortcut control from the OS, even when Firefox normally respects that. Discord is the biggest offender in my experience, and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples, and that the list keeps on growing.

If Apple or Mozilla would just build in something to prevent that, I'd feel a lot less paranoid than I need to be.

23. jecowa macrumors regular

"Reminder that you should pay us 99$ per year for the privilege of releasing your apps on the Mac." -Apple probably
    I believe the ones with no alerts are having to pay Apple for the privilege.
    It's optional for now. I'm worried that will change over the next year or two.
    Apple wants that juicy 30% cut on each app sale like they get with iOS apps.

24. Eorlas macrumors 6502

Because this stupid control already exists on iOS and is the #1 reason that keeps it from being "great." I should not ever have to use the mac app store if I do not want to, and Apple could be spending time and money on things that matter, not policing programs.

This goes for windows as well with that stupid store. These app malls are not a good thing.

25. KoolAid-Drink macrumors 65816

God, using "app" for Mac applications is a really big pet peeve of mine. Idk why, the word itself just seems so dumb and too simplified. iOS like.

No offense, but this is a request to editors...please use the word "application" for all Mac programs/software. Leave "app" for use related with iOS.

Apple used to call all their Mac "apps" applications on their website and throughout the OS. References to the word "application(s)" is becoming more and more rare, instead "app(s)" is being used more and more often. Really annoying. It may sound weird to you, but it's a niggling pet peeve of mine.