Mac Died - Need Tips

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Buskins, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Buskins macrumors member

Hello everyone,

My darling macbook died the other day, or what I assume was a death. Sometimes we play these games, but the blasted thing is either putting on the greatest performance of its life (ironic much), or it is, in fact, dead as a doornail. I get the white screen, Apple logo, and nadda afterwards. I did manage to boot from the OS Disk - once - and went into Disk Utility, ran repair, and it said everything was OK. This was a lie. A terrible, terrible lie...

...anyway, I am really needing something that may, or may not, be on my Time Machine backup, and since my darling Macbook is outside the warranty, I am wondering if the following will work.

Could I make another OSX partition on my iMac (so, like 2 Lion operating systems of X-GB partitions), and then load the backups from the Time Machine program of my poor, deceased darling macbook cleverly saved on an external HD*question mark*

I don't live very close to an Apple store, hate driving, and despise trains. If this works I can basically send the blasted thing off for recycling without having to bother myself, or an Apple tech, trying to fix it. I just need 1 file, 1 file that is as important to me as snow cones in summer. And it so may very well be on that infernal external HD Time Machine thingey.

Maybe.

Help. Thanks. Hugs.

/Buskins.

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Do you use Time Machine on your iMac ? Either way plug in your MacBook Time Machine backup disc into your iMac.

Have not tried recently in Lion but if you right click the Time Machine icon in the Dock you should get the option to browse other backups - that should do the trick !!!

3. Buskins thread starter macrumors member

I don't use Time Machine on the iMac, only the Macbook - but my iMac has all my scripts, storyboards and other important data on. If I run Time Machine backup of the Macbook on the iMac does that not replace everything on the iMac with my Macbook's files and stuff - or does it add them to it (so I have both iMac files and Macbook files).

Coincidently, JUST NOW this iMac took ages to start up - and went through the white screen of death just like my Macbook started doing, although the iMac punched through. Has there been some sort of virus or something affecting bootcamp partitioned macs, because both these machines have bootcamp, and in the past two days both have thrown absolute fits of disagreement booting up.

I am now doing a Time Machine backup on this machine because what it just did is EXACTLY the same as my Macbook. I sense something is not right with the force.

4. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Plug in the time machine drive from the MacBook and navigate around it like you would any other drive, and just copy across the files you need. You don't need to mess around with time machine or anything.

Also, I like your posting style

5. tug macrumors 6502

or you could just buy a new HDD for your book, cos I'm betting thats the culprit, your HDD has gone bad.

6. Buskins thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! I am a writer (novels/screenplays) and find it hard to detach myself from the fantasy's of my untrue realities. Immigration didn't approve much, however. I put effort into what I say, try to make it sound human.

I appreciate the responses. Never knew Time Machine worked like that. I thought it was an all or nothing thing. Like democracy. I shall be happy to now go and find out if all my 1's and 0's are in order. If they've become 2's and J's I'll be displeased. I shall also ditch the HD. It is indeed the culprit. If it wasn't made of metal I'd cast it in irons, but the blasted thing would probably just 'lol' me, like a schoolchild with a mobile.

Thanks. Cheers. Bye.

/Buskins.

7. tug macrumors 6502

a very amusing reply. :D:D:D i hope it all works out for you, :)