Mac died. Problem with external drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mcrain, Mar 5, 2010.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Hi everyone. I understand the issues that can come up with an external drive formatted to be read by an Apple computer, but I don't know how to get around them.

I had an Apple Powerbook G4 1Ghz. It died. Before it died, I had files saved to an external hard drive. The files are not, for the most part, Apple specific. For example, an MP3 or photograph.

I can't figure out how to get my borrowed windows laptop to see the external drive or have access to the information on the drive.

Does anyone have advice.

I'm not dumb, but I'm not nearly as proficient as you all are.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If the drive is formatted with HFS+ (Mac OS Extended) you can either use MacDrive (50USD) or HFSExplorer (free) to access the drive.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

How is the external drive formatted?
    If it is formatted as HFS+ (typical Mac formatting) you will need something like MacDrive to access it from a Windows computer (about $50 I think)

If it is FAT32, you shouldn't have any problems... but that leads me to believe it is HFS+

Check out the various file systems here: MR Guide: File Systems

4. blunderboy macrumors 6502

As the other people here said, if it's HFS+ formatted, Windows can't see the drive. Either save your stuff elsewhere (like on online storage or in your email inbox or something) and reformat your hard drive to something Windows-readable, or buy an application that will allow Windows to see your Mac-formatted external drive.