Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macchillsout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
I've had three go arounds on this strange behavior. My macbook pro just "woke up" from a 2 day vacation where it refused to turn on. This has happened three times -- and before the first I did spill on the laptop and thought it was dead but it came back to life. Its been back to life (minus the little vacations) for several months now. What happens is suddenly I find it asleep and unable to wake up (see the light on the front alternating glowing -- I believe that means sleep). Tried all the things I found online to wake, reset power management, reset SMC etc -- every pull battery, push button thing you can think of. Each time I've done this and concluded it must be dead. But low and behold suddenly I was in my kitchen glancing over at my photos on the slideshow and realized -- it was alive!

When it was on dead it seems to be in an sleep it cannot get out of but after I try everything listed to do including unplug and pull battery etc it seems to be just dead - no lights or signs of light. But when it comes back to life it is NOT after pressing any buttons (I try the power every time I walk by and it never responded) but just suddenly it is on. Seems to have restored like it woke from sleep as lots of applications are open -- not after a restart. Any ideas? Will my AppleCare be able to help me at all as I know there is liquid damage (have a few bad spots on the screen) but given it has been mostly functioning for a few months I am not even sure if this relates to the spill.

I'm go happy its back but don't know how long it will last! Glad I didn't prematurely "bury" it (a few times over).

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
You should probably drop what your doing, go grab an external and do a full backup (if you havn't done so already) the next time your machine comes on. At the very least extract the hard disk.

Else I couldn't really figure out whats going on other than the liquid is shorting something out.

But that wouldn't really make sense because by the machine turning OFF and , after a while, restoring the current session means that the machine is going to sleep gracefully and saving it's contents to disk (instead of ram which would die along with everything else).

AppleCare probably won't help you. Not for liquid related injuries.

Good luck w/ that though.

Paul B

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Yea, what Eddy said. You will not be able to claim warranty for a liquid spill. Your best option is to get the data then sell the MBP as-is.

macchillsout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
I'm all backed up on Time Machine (although need to buy a new mac for that to be of use). Just wishing (somehow) not to need to replace this machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.